PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7, - iTunes 9 & Bonjour Service

Sergio
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I tried installing iTunes ver 9 (current) but it fails to finish giving error message "bonjour service failed to start", - eventually the only way out is to cancel and iTunes rolls back leaving Quicktime installation on its own. .
Because this is the first time iTunes has been installed on this Laptop there is no Bonjour Service listed under services. I've tried installing iTunes as administrator, Vista Compatible, tried downloading Bonjour for printers but none of these seem to work.
Is there a solution to this problem? I would sure appreciate some help as others must have incurred the same problem.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
So you've got 9.1 of Itunes?? This came out the other day. Bonjour's service wont be in services till its installed. Wouldnt be surprised if UAC is causing it. Kill it then see if it works

Sergio
02-04-2010, 03:59 PM
No mention of UAC in the error, no pop up etc. Have also tried killing windows firewall. Dont have any AV running (some posts suggested both these could be a problem with the printer Bonjour service).
Yes its 9.1.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
UAC is in control / user accounts. Disable it then reboot then try again

Sergio
02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
By disabling it you mean take the slider right to the bottom? Never notify.........

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Thats it. If it doesnt work then put it back if you want to use it. Are you installing 9.1?

Sergio
02-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes I will turn UAC off and re-install but before I do I am putting back my previous OS (still Win 7) (Acronis) so I have a clean OS from which to try again. Once done I will do as you suggest and let you know, maybe an hour or so.
Thanks

Sergio
02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately turning off UCA has not had any effect.............iTunes installs right the way through to services then hangs with same error message "Bonjour service failed to start".....Quick time installs okay. Its just the Bonjour service.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Looks like it maybe a prob with others (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2383349&tstart=0). Are you getting error 10014 as well?

Sergio
02-04-2010, 08:39 PM
It looks that way, boards filling up with complaints. No real solutions appearing so looks like I have to wait. Lets hope Apple sort it our asap. I'm not getting message 10014, that might be a win 7 thing.

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Just tried installing it here. It was fine (Vista x64)

Sergio
03-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Did you do a clean install or upgrade?
Is x64 likely to make any difference? (I'm Win 7 x32)
The forums are filling up with complaints, suggestions about AV's and firewalls dont seem to be solutions. Some say its not the new version of iTunes causing the problems but they its the new version of Bonjour they have packaged with it.
I guess if it was possible to find an older version of Bonjour on its own the problem might be resolved.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2010, 08:33 AM
It was a clean install of Vista (dont have Win7 on this atm). I HAD it, but some things didnt work properly, with Win 7 x64. Which is why I went back to Vista x64.

You'll have to do a clean install of 64 bit, (If you've got it, and if your CPU supports 64 bit), if you want to install Itunes x64. The 64 bit version of Itunes (probably) wont install on 32 bit windows.

Sergio
03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Dont think there is much more I can do but wait. You would have thought Apple would have checked their new version before releasing it!!
My Vaio runs 64 but my OS is 32. I'll check back on iTunes from time to time to see if they have fixed the problem.
Thanks for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2010, 08:46 AM
No probs. If you DON'T use Bonjour, (its for sharing the music or something, if you dont do this), then you could extract the Itunes install file (with something like 7-zip, or winrar). And run the install files separately..It's not a Windows 7 prob, it also happens on XP 32 bit

Sergio
03-04-2010, 08:58 AM
I have just tried your suggestion (winrar, install iTunes on its own) but it still says the Bonjour service failed to start.
I also tried installing Bonjour on its own (as administrator) but same problem.
There must be a problem with Bonjour calling up the services.
It seems that iTunes wont install without the new version of Bonjour hence it wont install on its own.

Sergio
03-04-2010, 05:12 PM
SOLUTION - at last (workaround)
In case anyone has the same problems and been following this thread Apple have come up with a workaround which is posted at the end of this forum:http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2383168&start=15&tstart=0
In summary:
1) Copy iTunes download file "itunessetup.exe" to C:\
2) run cmd (with admin rights) and change directory to c:\
3)Still in cmd run this string c:\>iTunesSetup.exe NO_BONJOUR=1
This installs iTunes 9.1 without Bonjour.
For 64 bit run c:\>iTunes64Setup.exe NO_BONJOUR=1
Its worked for me.

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Thats pretty hopeless, if you need / have to use it. Wonder why it works on some, but not all

Sergio
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Have to agree, - not every iTunes user has the knowledge to use cmd to install software which should be fool proof, especially coming from Apple. Seems like a poorly written bit of Bonjour code.
Anyway, thanks for your help over the last 24 hours!!
Regards
Sergio

Speedy Gonzales
03-04-2010, 06:03 PM
No probs :)