PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu, need some advice/help with a few bits first.

DaveBritton
02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey guys, I am going to install ubuntu on my laptop. Now I have been using unbuntu and knoppix in live CD form to diagnose and fix computers for years, and I have installed it a couple of times to one of my old laptops, so I don't really need much help with the linux side of things.

I want to keep an image of the current system (including all files) and access all files on the current system from a backup. Would the best way to do this be to create an image of the drive that will be kept purely as an image and also make copies of all the files I want to access, or is there a way to also access the files that are kept in the image without affecting it.

My question may sound stupid, but I have never copied an entire drive before nor have I used any drive imaging software before.

I am running Vista Home Premium x86 right now, and would be installing Ubuntu 9.10 x64, probably upgrading to 10.04 when it comes out of beta.

Specs on the laptop are as follows:
HP Touchsmart TX2-1010
AMD Turion X2 (Dual Core RM-72) 2.1ghz
4gb 667mhz DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics
WD Scorpio Blue 250gb HDD (8gb free, could get to about 150gb free if I moved all the media files off)
N-Trig touchscreen
Fingerprint reader
Infrared
All the usual stuff like DVD-RW, wifi, bluetooth, ethernet, webcam, card reader etc

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as it always is, feel free to point out any gaping holes in my plan or any issues you may foresee. I will be checking this thread all day tomorrow, but I am about to go to sleep now.

Thanks,
Dave.

pctek
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Use an image program, store the image on another partition or safer yet - another drive.
Much easier and simple to use.

kjaada
02-04-2010, 05:15 PM
What about shrinking the XP partition and installing Ubuntu on a separate partition.When Grub is installed at the end of the install you will be able to boot both systems and you will be able to view all the xp folders etc from Ubuntu.
Maybe an image to something else of the XPsetup first would put yr mind at rest although if you were thinking of an image on the same drive there is not much point if you have both os's available.

bachelorno1
02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
check out this (http://mt4.radified.com/2009/05/clonezilla-best-free-hard-drive-backup-solution.html) website about Clonezilla - for cloning drives, and much more.
Or how about virtualizing your Windows setup with something like Paragon Virtualization manager (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/vm-personal/scenarios.html#5)...
Note: I haven't used either of these programs yet.

DaveBritton
02-04-2010, 09:09 PM
pctek: Read my entire post and you might be able to offer some actual useful advice.

kjaada: First off, I am using Vista, and secondly I have dual booted before, but I am not interested in that this time. I don't plan on using Windows on this laptop again unless I have to.

bachelorno1: If you haven't used any of those programs, why are you advising I do?

Thanks for the effort, but none of it helps me. I already know I can image/clone a drive, so I don't need software suggestions unless the software specifically does what I asked;
Allows me to read from the image without modifying it. I am going to be keeping the image/data on one of my spare 500gb drives, so space isn't an issue.

Rod J
02-04-2010, 09:35 PM
You should be able to mount the image (.iso format anyway) in Nautilus and read and copy files from it no problem. I suppose it depends on the software you use to create the image. If it's a Linux app it will probably have the ability to mount the image.

DaveBritton
02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
You should be able to mount the image (.iso format anyway) in Nautilus and read and copy files from it no problem. I suppose it depends on the software you use to create the image. If it's a Linux app it will probably have the ability to mount the image.

Thankyou. That is what I was asking. Will accessing the image affect it at all? Like will the files be changed? Also, won't a 100+gb .iso be a bit sluggish?

Thanks,
Dave.

Rod J
02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes, possibly will be problems with a very large image (I was thinking of CD/DVD size images but I guess large HD partitions would be more problematic for mounting). This app sounds good although I can't see anything about being able to mount the images: http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

Rod J
02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
These might help you:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/
http://www.clonezilla.org/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/?branch_id=48238&release_id=152670

DaveBritton
03-04-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check it all out when I get home from work.

I forgot to mention, does anyone know how I can transfer all my saved passwords from my current firefox installation to the new one in ubuntu? I am just using the default password manager in FF.

Erayd
03-04-2010, 12:34 AM
You should be able to simply copy your entire Firefox profile across verbatim, including all bookmarks, settings and plugins.

gary67
03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Or set up an account with the FF addon Xmarks works brilliantly, does your saved passwords as well

kjaada
03-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Or set up an account with the FF addon Xmarks works brilliantly, does your saved passwords as well

Xmarks is the very best thing since fried bread and eel sandwiches.

kjaada
03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
kjaada: First off, I am using Vista, and secondly I have dual booted before, but I am not interested in that this time. I don't plan on using Windows on this laptop again unless I have to.

I have been there a few times as well and found each time that "especially on a lappy" when there is something that only windows will do then you are in the "poos"
ALSO I put linux on a Toshiba lappy and my Bios was no longer available until
after a major.Grub somehow took over and although the windows rescue partition was still there it was not accessable and the puter would not boot live CD's.
Take care.

DaveBritton
03-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I have been there a few times as well and found each time that "especially on a lappy" when there is something that only windows will do then you are in the "poos"

Yeah, it's ok, I have more than one PC. If I want to do something that only windows will allow I will either try WINE or just use another PC.

I will check out Xmarks.

pkm
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, it's ok, I have more than one PC. If I want to do something that only windows will allow I will either try WINE or just use another PC.

I will check out Xmarks.
Yep, watch out for laptops with recovery partitions and no OS install CDs. If grub breaks the special 'press f11 for recovery'function it can get tricky.

DaveBritton
08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I have finally decided, I am just going to wait for 10.04.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will reply again if I have any issues.