PDA

View Full Version : What does restoring a Restore point actually restore?

BJay
02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
I have read somewhere that "Restoring a Restore point" 'will not alter your data'.

If this is true then WHAT does it alter and what not alter?

wainuitech
02-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Basically System Restore will restore your Windows system settings (the Windows Registry), protected system files, and recently installed software.

Meaning if you install a program for example and it all turns to custard, OR some other settings cause problems, restore will wind back the important files to the time you select.

System restore is a great feature, BUT it can also be a bad option - meaning, many people think if you get malware on a PC simply run system restore and its gone :groan: NOPE-- The infection can attach its self in system Restore, and so it goes back for the ride. Thats why its often mentioned, when cleaning out a PC, disable system restore, other wise on reboot the infections will reappear.

FoxyMX
02-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I have read somewhere that "Restoring a Restore point" 'will not alter your data'.

Actually, it will, if your data is stored in non-default locations. I have documents on the D:drive and have lost downloaded and other files after doing a system restore back to before they were downloaded.