PDA

View Full Version : SQL Server on home PC

Mike
02-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I want to install SQL server on my home PC... is there any reason I shouldn't install full SQL server on it? Or would it be better to install SQL Express?

I know SQL express would be fine for what I want to do, its just I have full SQL sitting here that I can install, or I'd have to download SQL Express and I won't if I don't need to :D

Will having SQL Server running hog my cpu? Would Express be any better?

Cheers,
Mike.

Erayd
02-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Go for it :D. Regarding ram / cpu hogging, that depends entirely on what you're using it for.

somebody
02-04-2010, 10:55 AM
In my experience it's better to install it into a virtual machine or similar - when I installed it on my PC a number of years ago, it appeared to slow things down a lot (particular boot times) as the SQL Server services would attempt to start up.

nate
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Unless you need all the additional tools with full version SQL Server, Express should be more than sufficient.

Are you just using it for development?

Mike
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Unless you need all the additional tools with full version SQL Server, Express should be more than sufficient.

Are you just using it for development?I know Express will be sufficient. I was asking whether others thought full SQL Server would hog too many resources to be worth it, and whether I should download Express instead.

I have installed SQL server now and everything seems to be going fine :)

Mike.