PDA

View Full Version : get ISP to turn off interleaving

nedkelly
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey my mate has been told by one of his mates that if he rings xnet and asks them to turn interleaving off he will get a big speed increase. True or false?

Speedy Gonzales
01-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Wouldn't have a clue, never called them to find out, to see if its on or off

nedkelly
01-04-2010, 09:59 PM
think your modem status says if its on or off.

Speedy Gonzales
01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Umm nope

Ollie
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM
No interleaving lowers ping and may lead to speed increase

If he has a crap connection i wouldn't bother with turning interleaving off. Its going to make downloading from international sites a pain.

Thats the downside to interleaving off - sometimes you get packet loss and your download will corrupt. Easy way to go around this with an IDM

wainuitech
01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
old article (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/184) - but explains a lot.

nedkelly
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
wow thanks for the link wainuitech, answered my question I have had for ages about what interleaving is.

Erayd
01-04-2010, 11:20 PM
...sometimes you get packet loss and your download will corrupt.Packet loss will not lead to a corrupted download - the TCP protocol ensures that any missing bits are re-sent, and any incorrect bits are checksummed and also re-sent.

Ollie
02-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Packet loss will not lead to a corrupted download - the TCP protocol ensures that any missing bits are re-sent, and any incorrect bits are checksummed and also re-sent.

I mean packet loss can cause your net to drop out and lead to corrupted downloads. I work for TC so i know this. The average xtra user with interleaving off loses around 5% packet loss, some with crap lines can go up to 35% and over 50%. I could explain the pros and cons about the benefit of turning interleaving off. But in short you are sacrificing speed for reduced latency by turning interleaving off if you mostly download from sites overseas

Erayd
02-04-2010, 01:28 AM
I mean packet loss can cause your net to drop out and lead to corrupted downloads.A dropped connection can't cause a corrupted download either - it can cause an incomplete download (which can be resumed later), but not a corrupt one.

I work for TC so i know this.Forgive me if I don't find that convincing - my dealings with Telecom have left me distinctly underwhelmed by the quality of their staff's technical knowledge (yes, there are a few exceptions, but few is the key word here). Simply claiming you work somewhere does not magically endow you with credibility.

...But in short you are sacrificing speed for reduced latency by turning interleaving offIncorrect - you are sacrificing error resilience for reduced latency. Your speed only takes a hit if your line has a high error rate, thus requiring a large number of packets to be re-transmitted.

...if you mostly download from sites overseasThat is also incorrect - interleaving affects both net-local, national, and international data equally. All data transferred over the line is treated the same.

Ollie
02-04-2010, 01:43 AM
A dropped connection can't cause a corrupted download either - it can cause an incomplete download (which can be resumed later), but not a corrupt one.

Forgive me if I don't find that convincing - my dealings with Telecom have left me distinctly underwhelmed by the quality of their staff's technical knowledge (yes, there are a few exceptions, but few is the key word here). Simply claiming you work somewhere does not magically endow you with credibility.

Incorrect - you are sacrificing error resilience for reduced latency. Your speed only takes a hit if your line has a high error rate, thus requiring a large number of packets to be re-transmitted.

That is also incorrect - interleaving affects both net-local, national, and international data equally. All data transferred over the line is treated the same.

Yes, you can resume corrupted dls from free file sharing sites :waughh:

And my argument is so powerful its not necessary to talk about it hahahaha

Erayd
02-04-2010, 03:37 AM
Yes, you can resume incomplete dls from free file sharing sites :waughh:Indeed you can - at least on any I've ever downloaded stuff from.

And my argument is so powerful its not necessary to talk about it hahahahaNo comment.

bevy121
02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
And my argument is so powerful its not necessary to talk about

Woa! - now that sounds like Telecom employee response for sure! LMAO

Agent_24
02-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Indeed you can - at least on any I've ever downloaded stuff from.

No comment.

Really? I've never been able to resume a failed download from Rapidshare free, ever.

If there's a way, I'd love to know what it is!

wainuitech
02-04-2010, 02:48 PM
With all this talk about packet lose and so on - many people have no idea how the internet actually works ( or doesn't in some cases) ;)

A old movie we were given to look at on a course I did years ago, explains it.

Doesn't matter how advanced the internet comes or has come its still the basics - I understand that this Video is still shown to day in some teaching institutes.

Its a light hearted look at how things work, from clicking on a link to load a web page to your browser.

Download the movie Warriors of the Net (http://www.warriorsofthe.net/movie.html) - its around 73MB - but when you watch it,( if you never have) you'll be amazed how the net works and why there is so many problems.

Hint: listen for the odd "smart comment" ;)

Ollie
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Woa! - now that sounds like Telecom employee response for sure! LMAO

Im guessing your a bit slow on the things on the net mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B9MqNzQuuk

wainuitech
02-04-2010, 03:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B9MqNzQuuk After watching that Video - it came across as the guy is a tosser that only thinks his views are correct and doesn't matter what any one else thinks hes right, totally disagreeing with other people comments or Views.

So if you are saying thats how you are, and remember who posted the saying "And my argument is so powerful its not necessary to talk about it" -- Well that sounds exactly like a Telecom attitude. :lol:

Thebananamonkey
02-04-2010, 04:37 PM

Falling on your own sword a bit? Watch the end of that video. Your sarcasm serves you just as well.

Erayd
02-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Really? I've never been able to resume a failed download from Rapidshare free, ever.

If there's a way, I'd love to know what it is!The odd time I"ve needed to do it, 'wget -c' worked just fine, provided you feed it the correct set of cookies.

Agent_24
03-04-2010, 01:19 AM
The odd time I"ve needed to do it, 'wget -c' worked just fine, provided you feed it the correct set of cookies.

Thanks for that, I'll try it next time. If it works it will be very useful...

Ollie
03-04-2010, 09:25 AM
The odd time I"ve needed to do it, 'wget -c' worked just fine, provided you feed it the correct set of cookies.

I'm pretty sure you need to use the same server that you downloaded previously

bevy121
03-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Ah, now I see - thanks for the link to your interview with Oliver, Rick

It's very enlightening, but I think it may be you that's a bit slow on things mate

Erayd
03-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty sure you need to use the same server that you downloaded previouslyNot if the same file is also hosted elsewhere...