PDA

View Full Version : Dual Screen laptop VGA Problem?

Drenwick
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
When I got my new HP Pavilion laptop this week I took it home and hooked it up to my ASUS VW193T monitor. For the entire week this worked, when I would get home the laptop would plug in fine and the ASUS screen would become my extended desktop.

Now today when I took my laptop into my lounge and hooked it up to the TV via HDMI, that worked fine. I then tried VGA on the TV, but there was no picture. This had worked in the past.

I took my Laptop back to my desk and plugged the VGA cable back into the ASUS monitor. This time there was no picture. As soon as I turned the monitor on it said no signal and went into standby mode.

Whenever the VGA cable is plugged in, Windows 7 recognizes it and the ASUS monitor shows up in the display properties.

I can move windows to the ASUS monitor via the extended desktop setting, but the screen remains black and in standby mode. When I unplug the VGA cable from my laptop, it makes the disconnect sound and monitor disappears from the Display Settings window.

Any ideas?

pctek
02-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Settings.
Have you got the latest driver for it?
Then I think you need to play around with the settings a bit, whether its to split the view between them, or extend it or whatever.
And stick to one connection.....

Drenwick
02-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Hey thanks for the reply but I cannot find a driver for it. Its an ASUS VW193T 19" flatscreen monitor. Even the ASUS website has no drivers, only .pdf manuals.

Oh, and I have been playing with the settings a lot

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2010, 09:48 AM
You dont need drivers for a monitor. Well, you cant see anything, anyway.

Does the ASUS monitor have some kind of button, to switch between inputs? If its got more than 1? Have you checked for any bent pins on the monitor / cable? Have you tried another cable? It could be a setting in the video drivers as well, that needs to be changed

Drenwick
02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
None of the pins appear to be bent, and there is no switch I can see on the monitor.

Also, I don't understand why only now it doesn't work after I plugged it into the TV via HDMI.

DaveBritton
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Did you change the resolution settings when it was plugged into the TV? If so, maybe it is trying to display in a resolution your ASUS monitor can't support.

Drenwick
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
That makes perfect sense, will try now haha!

EDIT: Well,that didn't work, still won't display on the monitor. I had it plugged into the TV via HDMI anyway

Drenwick
02-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Still nothing, its so strange, it appears the only problem is the monitor is not recognizing the signal.

Any other thoughts?

I tried my sisters laptop with the same VGA cord into the same Monitor, and that worked.

pctek
02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
You dont need drivers for a monitor.

But you need need one for the graphics card or chip which is what gives you the settings for multiple monitors.

Drenwick
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I can still change the settings for multiple monitors. The problem is that the external monitor just goes into standby mode.