PDA

View Full Version : Asus EEE Netbook

dzina
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi, I have an EEE with a stu##ed HDD. My question is if I put in a new HDD how do load windows back on? No optical drive of course and with no OS is there any USB support? Cant plug in a USB disk drive if no USB support on a fresh drive...

If I could DL the recovery image I could put on HDD from another PC but not sure if that would work or where to get the image from...

Any advise would be welcomed.

gary67
01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Install windows no optical drives

*DOS (preferably 7.10 for it's improved loading times, available online, or by request.. it was free when i got it)
If you have not burned a copy of DOS 7.10 yet, do that first, you will need it before moving the hardware!

Attach the drive to IDE 1, channel 2 and start up your computer.
- format the drive to FAT32 (you can always switch it to ntfs later, with a prog such as partition magic)
- shutdown the computer

*With the DOS cd in the drive

- switch the laptop drive to IDE 1 channel 1 for best chance of detection, DOS is not the smartest OS ever made

- power up and install DOS 7.10 when prompted. IT is your choice to add or not add all the extras with DOS, these will not affect your installation either way!

- Shutdown the computer and rearrange the laptop drive such that it is on IDE1, channel 2 again. So that you can boot into the OS (possibly XP) on your desktop.

- Remove DOS 7.10 cd
- replace with Windows XP cd after system has booted.
- Copy I386 folder from WinXP cd onto the laptop harddrive
*probably place this directly on the root of the drive to prevent confusion later.
- find and download smartdrv.exe and copy it to the root directory as well (speeds up dos transfers)

*IF you cannot find this file, it is also found on win98 boot disks

Attach the drive to IDE 1, channel 2 and start up your computer.
- format the drive to FAT32 (you can always switch it to ntfs later, with a prog such as partition magic)
- shutdown the computer

*With the DOS cd in the drive

- switch the laptop drive to IDE 1 channel 1 for best chance of detection, DOS is not the smartest OS ever made

- power up and install DOS 7.10 when prompted. IT is your choice to add or not add all the extras with DOS, these will not affect your installation either way!

- Shutdown the computer and rearrange the laptop drive such that it is on IDE1, channel 2 again. So that you can boot into the OS (possibly XP) on your desktop.

- Remove DOS 7.10 cd
- replace with Windows XP cd after system has booted.
- Copy I386 folder from WinXP cd onto the laptop harddrive
*probably place this directly on the root of the drive to prevent confusion later.
- find and download smartdrv.exe and copy it to the root directory as well (speeds up dos transfers)

*IF you cannot find this file, it is also found on win98 boot disks

This is supposed to work never tried it though

dzina
01-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Its a net book (Asus EEE) no ide channels, just the 1 sata connector for the HDD...

kandjc
02-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Google is your friend - http://allabouteeepc.com/installing-windows-xp-on-eee-pc-made-easy/

dzina
02-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Correct me if i am wrong (which i may very well be) but if i have a brand new HDD there is no OS or DOS of any kind so therefore no USB support to allow a USB ROM drive or flash drive to be found or function?? The only thing i can think of is to install DOS on the disk while it is in another PC as a slave drive (dont know if that can be done or not etc)... The link above talks about loading a boot sector etc but if the USB needs to be mounted to load the boot sector its not going to work

Speedy Gonzales
02-04-2010, 09:31 PM
If the BIOS supports USB and booting from a flash drive, then you can use it. All you have to do is format it on another PC, and copy / extract one of the files from a site like bootdisk.com

Chilling_Silence
02-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah the BIOS definitely supports booting from USB.

You can either use a USB Optical drive, or a USB Thumbdrive for installation of either Linux or Windows.

The question then becomes:
Do you want to install Windows or Linux?
Do you want to install from Optical drive, or from a USB Thumbdrive / HDD?