PDA

View Full Version : System Restore fault

ssssss
01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I have Win7 and two weeks ago had cause to try a System Restore.

I am very dissapointed to find that all the system restore points I chose failed.
A message suugested that an antivirus program might be running and be the cause of the problem, but I disabled this and still got the fault.

Am I stuck with a computer that won't do system restore when necessary?

Thanks.

PS I am not connected to the internet at home so there may be a delay in my answering any replies.

wainuitech
01-04-2010, 12:05 PM
What AV are you using ?

Some of them can and do silly things to programs like System Restore.

Other thing is to uninstall the AV and try again.

ssssss
01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi,
I am using Norton at the moment as it came free with the Compaq computer.
Thanks.
Perhaps I should uninstall it, do you think, and use Microsoft Security Essentials?

wainuitech
01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
NORTON!! - 3/4 of the problem, yes uninstall it - BUT use Revo Uninstaller (http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/Portable-Revo-Uninstaller.shtml) Portable, doen't need installing then.

When you run it , locate the norton product after it finishes scanning, then select and hit uninstall, in the box that appears, select the advanced mode, let it run through and Norton Will Uninstall using its own program DONT reboot when it asks to, select later, then click next ( two windows one after the other) remove all the reg keys, and folders revo finds, NOW you can reboot. Norton completely gone.

Keep in mind, if you run restore after that, it may put Norton back.( in part) so you will need to remove it again.

What is the actual problems that require the running of System Restore Please ??

Edited: Yes to Microsoft Security Essentials

ssssss
01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi wainuitech,
Thanks for the advice, but I am not very clever and may get out of my depth, if I try that.

I tried to use System Restore because my desktop picture became distorted. Please see my other post "Faulty Background picture with new Win7 Compaq computer"

ssssss
28-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi wainuitech, if you are still there!

I have uninstalled Norton using windows uninstall, and that has solved the problem.

System Restore is now working.

Thank you for your advice.

wainuitech
28-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Not a problem - Glad it's fixed :thumbs: