PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Won't Shut Down

ryanjames.powell
01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi guys,
More than often, my Core i7 system (Asus P6T Motherboard, XFX Radeon 5850, Creative SoundBlaster XFi Titanium) with Windows 7 Professional won't shut down. It gets to the Shutting Down... screen and just hangs there indefinitely. I once went away for the weekend and came back and it was still there. This doesn't happen every time though, sometimes it shuts down fine. When it does happen, there are no events in the Event Log to suggest what the problem might be.

Any clues?

EDIT: It is 64-bit Windows 7. I forgot to say that.

wainuitech
01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Click start, type in reli , select View reliability History - takes a few moments to load, but where there are any errors /problems, there will be a red circle with a white X or a yellow triangle with an ! in it.

Click the date/error and below will be a description of the error, that may give some hints as to the problem.

Speedy Gonzales
01-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I know the latest ATI drivers can cause this. It happened here with Vista. I removed them, the folders, and the registry entries for it. Then reinstalled them

And its been fine since

ryanjames.powell
02-04-2010, 07:43 AM
I THINK I may have fixed it. I applied the following Hotfix:

You cannot make a computer that is running Windows 7 shut down or sleep
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307

I had no problems with sleep, but I tried it anyway and have shut down a few times and it seems to be fine. That's not to say that I haven't just been lucky.

ryanjames.powell
18-04-2010, 09:14 PM
No such luck. Still does it occasionally. Any other ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Could be something thats running on startup / in the background. Post a HJT log. So, we can see whats in it. What BIOS is on it?

wainuitech
18-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Refer to post #2 and have a look at the log, it should tell you the problem.

ryanjames.powell
22-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Refer to post #2 and have a look at the log, it should tell you the problem.

As I said in my first post, there is nothing in the event logs. By the way, I am not a novice user, I have worked as a Sys Admin in a school and am doing a degree in computing, I just thought you guys might have come across a similar problem before, and Googling it gave me too many different answers, most of them irrelevant to my situation.

EDIT: On second inspection, this event MIGHT have something to do with it, but I'm thinking probably not...

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Date: 22/04/2010 9:38:50 p.m.
Event ID: 1530
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Ryan-Desktop
Description:
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
3 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2528750883-3828128790-3708763222-1001:
Process 1132 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost. exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2528750883-3828128790-3708763222-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings
Process 1132 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost. exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2528750883-3828128790-3708763222-1001\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVe rsion\Internet Settings
Process 984 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost. exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2528750883-3828128790-3708763222-1001\Printers\DevModePerUser

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Sounds similar to whats happening to the AMD I'm using with x64 on it. But mines the opposite.

It shuts down, BUT its crashing with bugcheck 0x000001e. According to event viewer. No sign of whats causing it. But it never crashes while I'm in Windows at all.

I know when this crashes, (because its dual booting with Windows 2K), it boots into windows 7 (without me having to select an OS to boot into). It brings up a black screen, and the cursor sits top left hand corner doing nothing.

Reset, it gives me an option to resume something. Obviously it fails (actually I have no idea WHAT its resuming from). Reset again, I get the bootmenu, so I can select the OS

ryanjames.powell
22-04-2010, 10:11 PM
I am in the progress of trying to update my BIOS, which is supposed to be easy using the AsusUpdate program, but that doesn't work, so I'm having to do it the tedious way.

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Dont get it over the net with the program. Download the BIOS (then load it) if you want to use Windows. Otherwise it'll freeze and kill the BIOS. Then you'll have to use crashfree BIOS to restore the original BIOS

Go into the BIOS, it'll probably support EZ-Flash 2 (copy the unzipped update to a flash drive. It'll bring up a window / select the update, then it'll flash the BIOS). This will save you using DOS to do it, or using EZ-flash. Or windows

wainuitech
22-04-2010, 10:27 PM
As I said in my first post, there is nothing in the event logs. By the way, I am not a novice user, Never said you were, but did you look in the event log or the reliability log - two different things. The event logs are hopeless.

Something that shows in the reliability Log wont always show in the event logs.Classic Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Reil.jpg) look at these errors-- the only one that showed in the event log was Explorer locking up.

ryanjames.powell
22-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Never said you were, but did you look in the event log or the reliability log - two different things. The event logs are hopeless.

Something that shows in the reliability Log wont always show in the event logs.Classic Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Reil.jpg) look at these errors-- the only one that showed in the event log was Explorer locking up.

OK, sorry, yes I did look in the reliability log, nothing there either. I just sort of assumed that they would both show the same thing though, as Reliability Log seems like a "for dummies" version of the Event Log. But yes, I did check.

It appears that Windows actually does shut down, the computer just doesn't power down. If do a hard power down at the point where it stops, Windows does not tell me that I did not shut down properly in the event logs or anything. It simply appears to be a normal shutdown from Windows' point of view, which leads me to believe that the BIOS update should help. We shall see. I am also installing the latest ATi drivers, as the ones I have are well out of date (well, a few months out of date anyway).

ryanjames.powell
22-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Dont get it over the net with the program. Download the BIOS (then load it) if you want to use Windows. Otherwise it'll freeze and kill the BIOS. Then you'll have to use crashfree BIOS to restore the original BIOS

Go into the BIOS, it'll probably support EZ-Flash 2 (copy the unzipped update to a flash drive. It'll bring up a window / select the update, then it'll flash the BIOS). This will save you using DOS to do it, or using EZ-flash. Or windows

Yes, I did end up using EZ-Flash 2 (for some reason it couldn't read the file the first time I tried, I think maybe it requires the filename to be DOS compatible? ie 8 Characters or less). The problem I had with the program was that it downloaded the update but when it came to flashing, it just said it couldnt find a registry key or something and wouldn't do it.

wainuitech
23-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Try some basic trouble shooting - Start the PC in safe mode a couple of times, see if it shuts down correctly every time that way. IF it does, then its a driver problem or some program is not closing down correctly.(which is a common cause in any windows OS)

If it shuts down in safe mode OK, then try a clean boot options - see what happens. If its determined its a program stopping it from shutting down, you can go into msconfig, disable everything thats not required for the PC to start. Then enable one item/program at a time until it plays up again.

In the past with XP / Vista I have seen damaged Creative SoundBlaster drivers cause this sort of problem as well. Have a look at Post number 6 (http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-7/81022-windows-7-shutdown-problem.html) -- May be your problem as well.

ryanjames.powell
25-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, at the risk of jinxing it again, I think it is fixed. I have tried about 5 times to shut it down and it shuts down every time.

So it was either the graphics driver or the BIOS. I also updated the Dolby Digital Live part of my sound card driver, but this seems unlikely to be it.

Thanks for your help guys.

wainuitech
25-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Good that it appears to be fixed. :)

Just a little constructive advice. ( Please dont take it as negative - but some learning advice).

What are they teaching these days :groan:

Where you say you are doing a computer course, and used to work as a sys admin, while that's all good and fine. I notice under your user name you say computer Technician ? A real tech would know the following:

The basic rules to fixes appear not to have been adhere to. Meaning --
So it was either the graphics driver or the BIOS. I also updated the Dolby Digital Live part of my sound card driver, but this seems unlikely to be it. Ok changed three things, all three are capable of causing a PC not to shut down -- So which one was the actual fault??

Basic rules - change one thing at a time.

Lets say instead of fixing it one of the changes made it worse - If you are working on a customers PC, they are not paying you to experiment.

IF it had have gone the other way and made things worse which do you "undo" ?

Doing one thing at a time - at least if something does turn to custard, you know exactly what it was and the steps to rectify it.

linw
25-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Very good advice to any of us, WT! Occasionally I have to tell myself off for this 'sin'.

Hope you have a boiler plate for the reliability log advice! That info is very often overlooked, eh.

h4rsheys
26-04-2010, 05:25 AM
hammer

just kidding :D