PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to upgrade 400w to 500w? :thumbs:

PC builder
31-03-2010, 10:36 PM
:thumbs:I have a Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 runing windows 7 with 2gb raM
IS IT OK TO UPGRADE TO 500W OR WOULD IT BE TOO MUCH?

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2010, 10:40 PM
It can be as high as you want it

GameJunkie
31-03-2010, 10:41 PM
:thumbs:I have a Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 runing windows 7 with 2gb raM
IS IT OK TO UPGRADE TO 500W OR WOULD IT BE TOO MUCH?

no need to yell in capitals

Erayd
31-03-2010, 10:45 PM
It is always safe to upgrade your PSU - you cannot 'fry' anything by having extra PSU capacity. A PSU will always deliver exactly the right amount of power to the PC, regardless of what the PC needs at the time, or how powerful the PSU is (unless the PC's demands exceed what the PSU is capable of).

And yeah... don't type in caps - on the internet, it's considered SHOUTING, and is very bad etiquette unless you have a genuine reason to do so (hint: this is almost *never* the case).

nedkelly
31-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I think PC Builder did what I always do by accident and hit the a and caps lock keys

Sweep
31-03-2010, 10:49 PM
no need to yell in capitals

Did you see the capital in the final letter of raM like so?

The caps lock is very close to the left shift key is it not?

Erayd
31-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Hmm, good point - the most annoying feature of the qwerty keyboard layout is the position of the caps-lock key...

GameJunkie
31-03-2010, 11:05 PM
your probly right, my apologies

Sweep
31-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I'd hate to be a female with very long finger nails.

DUNK
01-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I'd hate to be a female with very long finger nails.

Hell. I'd hate you to be too !! :clap

bevy121
01-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Did you see the capital in the final letter of raM like so?

The caps lock is very close to the left shift key is it not?

actualy I think you'll find it's the fact that the caps lock is next to the "a" key, and when typing the "a" (as in ram), it is very easy to also touch the caps lock at the same time and it becomes "raM" - and is followed by all uppercase...

I do it all the time! - then I have to go back and re-type it in lower case again lol

Billy T
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM

Thebananamonkey
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
OK, so are we done correcting a minor typeset issue? How about some advice here?

Yes, it's safe to upgrade from 400W to 500W. What are you hoping to achieve?

1.) A higher capacity PSU will only help you if your current PSU is starving your computer of power. If it's doing well with 400W, then the upgrade isn't worth it unless your current PSU is faulty and needs replacing or if you're looking at upgrading components to above 400W of capacity.

2.) If you do buy a new PSU, make sure it's a good brand. Price is usually a good indication, but Enermax, Antec, Coolermaster, Corsair, Silverstone and Thermaltake are all good brands. With some exceptions, it's generally giving any other brands a miss. Cheap PSUs can over or under deliver, which can damage/destroy other components in your computer.

3.) PSUs aren't all built equal. Modular PSU's mean you only have to connect the cables you need. PSU's are inefficient. How inefficient varies from product to product. IMO, it pays to buy 80%+ PSUs.

gary67
01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Do modular PSU's come with all the cables? Never used one so asking

Thebananamonkey
01-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Do modular PSU's come with all the cables? Never used one so asking

The cables they come with change from product to product.

Mine came with more than enough for most builds. Only one 6 and one 6+2 pin PCI-E's though, which is fine for single cards but limits me to low end cards if I want to go SLI/Crossfire.

The good thing about them is that cable management (for case airflow/looks) is made easier by not having to tuck away unused cables.

They're a nice-to-have. Not a must.

bevy121
02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
OK, so are we done correcting a minor typeset issue? How about some advice here?

bla bla bla...

if you care to look, the "advice' was already given by Speedy and Eyrad in the first few posts

Thebananamonkey
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
bla bla bla...

if you care to look, the "advice' was already given by Speedy and Eyrad in the first few posts

They only told half the story. If someone's asking such a simple question, it pays to ask some back.

This person may have thought that upgrading their PSU would give them a performance boost. Nobody touched on this.

Nobody gave any advice on what to look for in PSU's either. This person could easily have gone off and bought a Hyena 500W, which would be a step back from a good quality 400W and potentially damage their system.

No need to be rude. This is a help forum and I thought this person could do with some info more elaborate than a simple "yes" and didn't need to hear multiple times that caps aren't good in a forum.

PC builder
04-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Woops! I hit the capslock again!