PDA

View Full Version : OE mail

willin
30-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I have opened my Outlook Express program and the last four months of messages in the Inbox have disappeared.
Is there a solution
Thanks

jinja_thom
31-03-2010, 08:27 PM
For some reason nobody seems 'willin' to suggest a solution to your problem so here is my two pennies worth.
I can think of two reasons for this, the simple one is that the read messages are hidden by selecting 'Hide read messages' in the Current view on the view menu, I would check that first.
The second possibility is that the mailbox is corrupt, can't be opened and so OE has created a new one called Inbox(1).dbx, check the contents of the message store to see if you have both Inbox.dbx and Inbox(1).dbx.Can you receive new emails? send yourself one to check.
If the inbox has been recreated as Inbox(1).dbx, use windows explorer to copy the corrupted Inbox.dbx to a new folder then change the name of Inbox(1).dbx to Inbox.dbx and use the Import function to import the messages from the old inbox, most times it works.

willin
31-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks Jinga Thom
The inbox contains all the messages up to early October 2009 and then when I started the OE program on 31 st March it bought in the latest messages. So all those received between 3rd october and 31st March are misssing. The mail box is still working receiving new messages. Most annoying.

wainuitech
31-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Have you changed any of the settings in the email, esp the View / layout?

Every so often This guy (http://ask-leo.com/the_contents_of_my_inbox_disappeared_can_i_recover .html) puts up some good suggestions, check through the possible options as to what "may" have happened.

Approx How many mails do you actually have (with attachments as well) OE has a limit of 2GB total, that's inbox, sent, deleted and any other folders you may make, IF it gets close or exceeds 2GB corruption WILL happen, some times mails simply get deleted, other times the whole of OE corrupts and the lot can be lost, and needs a email recovery program to get them back.

willin
02-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Your comment about a limit of 2Gb for storage is very relevant.
I had allowed my mail boxes to grow as it seemed to be a waste of time to delete old messages and empty the deleted items box. Perhaps this should be more publicized, as I am sure I am not the only one to allow the boxes to get too full
Thanks for your comments

Safari
02-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Also don't store messages in your inbox, it is not intended for that.
Move messages to another user folder, not one of OE default folders.

Winston001
02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Also don't store messages in your inbox, it is not intended for that.
Move messages to another user folder, not one of OE default folders.

Having been through this problem myself recently, I'm interested in this thread. What do you mean by another user folder?

Safari
02-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Having been through this problem myself recently, I'm interested in this thread. What do you mean by another user folder?

A folder you create yourself
Go to File/Folder/New

willin
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
It pays to keep the least number of messages in the inbox
Click File and then New Folder.
Give it a name. Then either drag messages to this folder, or right click on the message header and click Move to Folder. Select the Folder.

kamo1
05-04-2010, 08:39 AM
If you want to keep all your mail rather then deleting them, use gmail instead of OE. Also, with OE compacting folders will help.