PDA

View Full Version : Folder password

SolMiester
30-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi all, I have a manager asking to password protect a folder which is on a network share....unfortunately, all users have read\write access to the root of this share, but now the manager has decided only a few need access to this as it is personal data...Removing existing rights will effect all users on the entire share!!

Wish we have Novell, I could place a mask on the folder!

I haven't heard of any software or method, but if anyone knows of something, your help would be appreciated...

pctek
30-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Why not just change either the number of users with access as he says, or give him a new share to himself.

wainuitech
30-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Why not just change the permissions on the folder concerned to allow only the persons selected. Whats the server OS.

There is a program called Folder Lock (http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/) -- may do what you want.

nofam
30-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding Sol, but why can't you just add a new security group to A/D (is the share on a WinServer?), apply it to the sub folder, and remove inheritable permissions?

That should allow all users to the root directory, and restrict access to the sub-directory?

wainuitech
30-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Ignore the folder lock in post 3 - didn't allow LAN access, only from the actual server.

But servers can be set to allow / change permissions on sub folders as nofam mentions.

SolMiester
30-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Hi guys,I will try removing inherited again, havent been to successful at that in the past as it removed rights all the way to the root.....

IMHO, A/D is a cheap NDS!

SolMiester
30-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Okay, think I got it sussed....