PDA

View Full Version : can't move or delete files

colmack
29-03-2010, 10:05 AM
For some reason, when I try to delete (or move) some Word files I'm getting the "Cannot delete (move) xxx.doc: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

The disk isn't full or write-protected and the file isn't currently in use - at least not that I can see. Rebooting the computer doesn't remedy the situation.

The only thing I think it could be is that that the files concerned are in a folder which is stored on a network server - the server is new (and the whole concept of using a server is also new to me!) so it could be something about that that I don't understand. Any suggestions?

inphinity
29-03-2010, 10:07 AM
You may not have delete permissions on the shared folder.

Paul.Cov
29-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Shut down ALL office applications, and check your HDD for errors, including a restart if the Error checking routine suggests it.

On odd occasions I've had to resort to using the Attrib command to free up some Word files. eg attrib -a -h -s -r c:\*.doc /s

zqwerty
30-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Sweep
30-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

But are not the file(s) mentioned on a Server?

Trev
30-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Download and put onto cd Ubuntu live. Then boot up from that then delete the files.
:)

wainuitech
30-03-2010, 07:59 AM
As per sweep's question - looks like the files are on a server
The only thing I think it could be is that that the files concerned are in a folder which is stored on a network serverThat can mean the permissions are set to read only. If that's the case who ever is in charge of the server has to change permissions to allow further actions.

What type of server is it ( OS wise)

zqwerty
30-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Ah yes, I took it to mean - on O.P.'s computer and also backed up on server - read too quickly.

Sweep
30-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Ah yes, I took it to mean - on O.P.'s computer and also backed up on server - read too quickly.

I hope I didn't come across too snarky with my question.