PDA

View Full Version : Things to do after you install Windows 7

Digby
28-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi Guys

I have just installed Windows 7 onto my desktop.
Still installing all of my regular software.

What are the things you do to your machine after you have installed Windows 7 ?

On XP I had a list of things, such as turning off the short cut icon arrow,
Turning off the thumbs.db creation.
Taming my system tray.
Setting my task bar to two lines (so I could see the date nicely)

What are some of yours ?

(I am hoping that the default for jpg files is not JPG (in caps)

jwil1
28-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Speed up displaying taskbar thumbnails (a simple reg tweak)

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Kill the windows search service. I do this with vista and Win7. Everytime I reinstall it

Renmoo
28-03-2010, 03:36 PM
A firewall, followed by antivirus.

Internet browser, Microsoft Office Suite (or OO)

Turn off unnecessary Windows features (e.g. uninstall Internet Explorer)

Configure default programs for various file extensions (e.g. HTML files to be opened by Firefox)

That's about it for now :p

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 03:44 PM
You dont really need a fw with windows 7. Since it blocks in and outgoing

wainuitech
28-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Kill the windows search service. I do this with vista and Win7. Everytime I reinstall it How come ????

The windows search is a great addition in W7, makes the old search look :yuck:

Personally I have not seen it slow down a PC, I have tried it on and off, no difference.

programs I add in are:

Firefox
Foxit Reader for pdf
Izarc (http://www.izarc.org/) - Zipping program, better than winzip.
Adobe Flash Player (gonna need it sooner or later)
Media Player / Home Cinema (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/)
CD Burning program - Normally the free version of Ashampoo Burner
Ccleaner
Malwarebytes ( as long as people actually will use it is another matter)
Office of some form
A virtual XP in one form or another
Antivirus
Java
Go into msconfig and disable any programs that dont have to run on startup

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 03:50 PM
It slows the system down and its crap. Its faster when its off (well it is here)

Digby
28-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Great replies guys,
Great List Wainuitech !
Keep them coming !

wainuitech
28-03-2010, 04:29 PM
It slows the system down and its crap. Its faster when its off (well it is here) Have to disagree there, I have done heaps of W7 installs, Didn't notice any difference in the ones I did disable, then turned back on again, tried disabling on several of mine when playing about and no difference, mind you they all were not to short of power (read as low spec crap like budget Dell's and Compaq's) :lol:

Personally that's the most used feature I use apart from browser, mail and office products - Esp when looking for something to open quick in the PC, or even more so when looking for something over the LAN -- Now where was that again. :lol:

Just did a quick search for a random music Group -- took all of 6 seconds to show results from 3 servers, My media center in the lounge and this PC - located 68 audio tracks, & 6 Videos. If its a new search it may take a little longer but only a few seconds.

wainuitech
28-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Keep them coming ! Other FREE programs I offer to put in for customers Computers (We use these all the time here) But I dont put them on unless they want them ( I Ask first)

itunes
ISOrecorder (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/W7.htm)
FreeDownload Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/)
Fbackup (http://www.fbackup.com/)
CutePDF Writer (http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp) - if they dont have office 2007.

What I do leave off is any P2P programs -- If they want to put them on and download "what ever" ;) thats up to them.

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I dont use it anyway. I also kill indexing, that makes no diff whether its ticked or not.

wainuitech
28-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I dont use it anyway. I also kill indexing, that makes no diff whether its ticked or not. Fair Enough :)

Neil McC
28-03-2010, 06:36 PM

I've been wondering about this one.Went and did a shields test etc on Gibson's site and Win7 firewall passed all.I don't really want to install Online Armor (pd version) on this pc as it mucks up the grandkids playing games.And so many popups.And yes I've used it for over a year so know most of the settings,I think!
Anyone else agree with Speedy? Am leaving UAC on default.

And agree with wainuitechs list along with

IMGBurn
Netmeter..........so I can see if anything's happening online
Faststone Viewer
VLC Player
VSO Image Resizer
Image program,eg,Acronis,Paragon Backup

Renmoo
28-03-2010, 09:36 PM
You trust it?

rumpty
28-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Turn off scheduled defrag.
Get rid of the eye candy in Performance Information and Tools - Adjust visual effects.

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 09:55 PM
You trust it?

Yup even tho I didnt have to use it. And most things dont affect x64 anyway. Altho, I've gone back to Vista x64 for now. Since some things dont work properly in Win7.

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 09:58 PM
If you want to tweak / disable services in Vista / XP, or Win7. Like whats on Blackviper's site, use this (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/smart-a-utility-for-tweaking-windows-7-vista-xp-services). At least if you stuff things up, it'll be easier to set the services back to their defaults

pctek
29-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I install my bits which in Win 7 now include 3rd party file explorers seeing as Windows Explorer chooses what or what not to show you.,

I go through services and disable those things I don't want.
I also install Ultimate Windows Tweaker on customers PCs. With instructions and warnings about it's use.

I remove (as much as possible) those bits I don't want and turn off any annoying taskbar things that I don't want to see.

In all a lot of installing my stuff, tweaking to suit me and then, once I'm happy I make and image of C:

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2010, 11:02 AM
And if you have access denied probs after. Disable UAC. It can cause access denied errors, when trying to update programs (foxit reader, is one of them). Well with 64 bit it does. Dont know about 32 bit

wratterus
29-03-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm with Wainui on the search/indexing - love it. Seems a bit criminal to turn it off, it's so good. :p

WarNox
29-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Kill the windows search service. I do this with vista and Win7. Everytime I reinstall it

I'd have to disagree with this too :) It is the only thing that was good about Vista and its one of the cool things in W7. Although, yeah you need a decent system for the indexing to not slow everything down, or set it to run when idle.

---

DISABLE UAC!

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2010, 07:31 PM
I have disabled UAC. Since it stops programs from updating

Sweep
29-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Some people install Win 7 then get rid of it and install something else instead as the next thing they do.

Much like I did with Vista for example.

pcuser42
29-03-2010, 07:35 PM
DISABLE UAC!

I have UAC enabled as not only is it a security feature, it also stops full-screen programs from opening when I click on them accidently (I have Quick Launch enabled).

waldok
29-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Interesting to read what people do, some good ideas there I'm planning to try.

It depends who for, but if I set people up as a Standard User, the "friends and family free computer support hotline" gets a lot less busy. I suspect it's because it's too much hassle to install everything they download. It's not for everyone though! :lol:

Windows: Change the Taskbar to "use small icons" and "combine when full" for the Vista look which I prefer. Hide the desktop icons, pin the desktop to to Windows Explorer as a folder instead.

Get some nice themes (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/personalize), like my favourite Kiwi one by Greg Straight (http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/7/88794316-b8e6-4b83-be20-a7ebe213538f/Greg%20Straight%20-%20New%20Zealand%20Inspired.themepack).

Apps: Corel Draw and Office (choosing only the bits I use). My favourite Twitter app of the day, currently Seesmic. BabySmash.

Email & Photos: Install the Windows Live Essentials pack other than the toolbar and the family safety, I don't use those two. Security Essentials too.

IE8: I turn off the "Start Navigation" sound for Windows Explorer to stop the superfluous clicking sounds. Hide the menu and the commands and change to icons only, that leaves a nice clean interface.

Web: Get the latest Adobe Flash & PDF. Yes I still prefer Adobe PDF Reader.

Sysinternals tools: If it's my own system I replace Task Manager with Process Explorer, but I don't do that for friends and family because of information overload. I use Autoruns to remove all the shell and startup extras that I don't want.

Safe mode checkdisk and defrag to tidy everything up.

cheers
W

Deimos
30-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I turn off Jump lists (I find them pointless, they always have stuff in them that you never use) and that stupid Aero shake (where you shake a window and everything else minimises) I found myself accidentally invoking it, and I never use it.
Enable auto expand folder in explorer (for the folder view on the left)
Show hidden files.

Schedule a defrag (if you don't have an SSD) make a backup.

linw
30-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Can't believe you guys don't mention an Explorer replacement! One of my first adds is xplorer2 Lite, a great dual pane file manager.

Pretty much everyone can use Picasa, as well.

Digby
30-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Great stuff guys
Keep it coming