PDA

View Full Version : Ad blocking? please think again

Deimos
28-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Ad blocking? please think again (http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/03/why-ad-blocking-is-devastating-to-the-sites-you-love.ars)

I commented on another thread but I think it's worthy of it's own thread.

I can't understand the logic of ad blocking, are you that hard up for bandwidth that you have to block a few KB worth of advertising?

If you find ads on a particular site intrusive, don't go there, simple.

TBH I very rarely encounter a website with popups or annoying advertisements with sound...

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Well one of the sites is this site. Actually its the worst site, that I go to. Which is why I block them

Deimos
28-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Well one of the sites is this site. Actually its the worst site, that I go to. Which is why I block them

Are we looking at the same site? I see a banner on the left and up top with ads by google, they don't play annoying sounds, having moving or flashing images, so whats the big deal?

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Dont have to have sounds, or something with blinking lights on it. Theyre ads, theyre annoying. I block them. End of story

Erayd
28-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Are we looking at the same site? I see a banner on the left and up top with ads by google, they don't play annoying sounds, having moving or flashing images, so whats the big deal?
The big deal is that the ads on this site frequently cripple it to the point where it can take several minutes to finish loading, intermittently suck system resources like there's no tomorrow, sometimes completely obscure the content (peel-me and big purple blobs anyone?), and depending on your screen size can require vertical scrolling to see *any* content at all.

And yes, despite your above post, this site has a bad history of moving / flashing / peeling advertisements. You've obviously caught it on a good day.

This site is currently the *only* site on which I block ads. There are a few others where I pay for a subscription to support the site, and enjoy ad-free browsing. Such an approach has been suggested here several times, and has been ignored every time. In fact, any and all feedback about the ads here is either completely ignored, or is merely given lip service and no action.

I have no problem with ads - but I do have a big problem with the way they are implemented on PressF1. The community here adds a pretty decent chunk of value to NZ PC World (more than it costs them to run) - I personally feel that we deserve to be treated better, rather than being showered in crap.

As a result of the above... click here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=103187) to fix the site :rolleyes:.

Metla
28-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Yep, Total agreement with Bletch.

To the point I wouldn't recommend this site to anybody.

kjaada
28-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I 2nd Speedys comment.
A little is OK but we have to be able to process what we came here for in the first place,What really has me thinking is
"DOES ANYONE EVER VISIT THE SITES ADVERTISED BECAUSE THEY SAW IT ON PF1???
I would think the answer would be almost no one.

Sweep
28-03-2010, 12:21 PM
But Fairfax gets paid for the ads whether people click on them or not. That's the point of having them.

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Good for them, but if they wanna kill the site, with ads, thats their prob. People go to sites, to look @ whatever. Not to get flooded / slowed down by ads. If you love ads, then go for it. Leave them there

lakewoodlady
28-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Maybe the writer of the article is referring to sites (could be anywhere) that are not supported by Fairfax?

LL

Peter H
28-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I gave up on this site until I changed to Firefox. I'm on dial up, and it took for ever and a day to appear. Now, no probs - and I use blocking of course.

notechyet
28-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I have no problem with ads - but I do have a big problem with the way they are implemented on PressF1. The community here adds a pretty decent chunk of value to NZ PC World (more than it costs them to run) - I personally feel that we deserve to be treated better, rather than being showered in crap.

As a result of the above... click here (http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=103187) to fix the site :rolleyes:.

+1
and ABP doees a reasonable job, though not as thoroughly as Erayd's script.

pctek
28-03-2010, 01:52 PM

+2.
Bugger the ads, and yes my bandwidth is crap - don't need it to be made worse by rubbish.

Terry Porritt
28-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I have no problems or qualms whatsoever about blocking advertisements.

Some of the best music oriented sites with forums I go to are "privately" run with no ads. A streaming site like Live365, I subscribe to, so I dont get any live ads. anyway.

Another music site (1920s/30s) with over 20,000 music files asks for donations, that's ok too.

Some other sites say disable Adblock + if you want access, that's ok too.

Back in the early days of www ( when Bill Gates said they had no interest in the Internet :) )when pages were very text like there were no ads, then the greedies saw there was money to be made with ads.

If a particular site can't survive because of ad blocking, then el tougho. :2cents:

AvonBill
28-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Can someone explain how ad blocking software stops the ads from being downloaded? I thought these blockers just stopped the ads from displaying in the browser. Surely the ad-blocker runs on the local PC and it determines whether the ad is displayed or not. Or is is that only "part of the ad" is downloaded and the blocking mechanism prevents the "rest of the ad" from arriving? Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Well,the point is you dont want to see it. So, even if it downloads, you wont see it anyway

Greg
28-03-2010, 03:07 PM
PressF1 doesn't survive on ads. It complements the printed version of NZ PCworld. That's how it started, to the best of my knowledge.

The ads are just more revenue.

Sadly I predict that the printed version of PCworld will die sometime soon.

Personally, I refuse to pay to view advertisements (either in time or bandwidth), which is why I block all Internet adverts.

Terry Porritt
28-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I assumed Adblocker + also prevented downloading of ads, but also by putting the adserver addresses into HOSTS, like inl.adbureau.net, ads.fairfax.com.au, then they definitley do not get downloaded. A double insurance if you like. :clap begone all adds and double clicks and google analytics :punk

Erayd
28-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I assumed Adblocker + also prevented downloading of ads...It does.

Can someone explain how ad blocking software stops the ads from being downloaded? I thought these blockers just stopped the ads from displaying in the browser. Surely the ad-blocker runs on the local PC and it determines whether the ad is displayed or not. Or is is that only "part of the ad" is downloaded and the blocking mechanism prevents the "rest of the ad" from arriving? Any ideas?
The blocking software looks at the markup that defines the page, and determines which external elements are advertising. It then blocks the browser from downloading those elements.

The reason this works is that anything you see on a webpage other than text (and sometimes even text) must be downloaded separately from the rest of the page. Your browser requests the page markup first, then reads it to determine what additional resources it requires (e.g. stylesheets, javascript, images, embedded media, advertising). Anything that the adblocker says shouldn't be downloaded, isn't.

Terry Porritt
28-03-2010, 03:14 PM
PressF1 doesn't survive on ads. It complements the printed version of NZ PCworld. That's how it started, to the best of my knowledge.

The ads are just more revenue.

Sadly I predict that the printed version of PCworld will die sometime soon.

Personally, I refuse to pay to view advertisements (either in time or bandwidth), which is why I block all Internet adverts.

Right, there was actually a time before PF1 and before Google....I remember it well.:lol:

sal
28-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I've always said they should only show ads to guests which has always been by far the majority. The break down right at this minute is 20 members, 150 guests and 80 spiders. It's as simple as wrapping the ads in
<if condition="$show['guest']">...</if> and would appease the vocal registered members of this forum.

Erayd
28-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Mmm..... you're not the only one who's suggested that - it's a great idea. Sadly whoever is in charge of the forum advertising never listens :groan:.

Richard
28-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Boy, if only someone could write an ad-blocker for television.

DUNK
28-03-2010, 04:03 PM
The "MUTE" button on the 'cordless' remote, does it for me.
Not quite as good as the "No junk Mail" notice on the letter box. But.... It's a start !!
As an aside; I reckon that the OP. of this thread is "in the industry".... Probably, with "Fairfax" !! :2cents:

gary67
28-03-2010, 04:20 PM
It does.

The blocking software looks at the markup that defines the page, and determines which external elements are advertising. It then blocks the browser from downloading those elements.

The reason this works is that anything you see on a webpage other than text (and sometimes even text) must be downloaded separately from the rest of the page. Your browser requests the page markup first, then reads it to determine what additional resources it requires (e.g. stylesheets, javascript, images, embedded media, advertising). Anything that the adblocker says shouldn't be downloaded, isn't.

Thanks for explaining how it all works Erayd I didn't know that but as someone once said knowledge is power ha ha, so by the time I die I should have a bit of power

Metla
28-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I've always said they should only show ads to guests which has always been by far the majority. The break down right at this minute is 20 members, 150 guests and 80 spiders. It's as simple as wrapping the ads in
<if condition=&quot;$show['guest']&quot;>...</if> and would appease the vocal registered members of this forum.

If they done that I think I'd be to disgusted to even visit, Its bad enough now that new people aren't aware of what they are getting themselves into when they visit, The only way to make that worse would be to single them out for bad treatment.

bevy121
29-03-2010, 12:44 PM
watch out, they might install the "miserable user" hack as well.... then there be real probs loading the page you wanted if they activated it on particular users lmao

oh damn - better not give them idea's!

I'll know what the prob is if MY Pf1 pages now start loading extremely slow and random 404's etc haha - and I don't have the adds here either.

It's also the ONLY site I block them at as well....

pkm
29-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Right, there was actually a time before PF1 and before Google....I remember it well.:lol:

The funny thing is, when I blow my 1gb cap and surf the net at 64kbps it takes about 2minutes to load sites like stuff with JS and pictures ie virtually unusable.

Noscript is a slight hassle but a reasonable reaction to the situation.

Speedy Gonzales
29-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Speaking of adblocking, has anyone heard of Comodo Dragon?? It uses Chrome's code, but they've stripped Google's code out of it. At least it doesnt need that googleupdate thing (I think this is whats needed), for the update option to work

It can also use Chrome's extensions

Billy T
29-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Been done, but sadly only for digital recording. I don't know if the techniques have been circumvented by the media barons, but it did work fairly reliably.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Rod J
29-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I block all the ads on this site now. I never used to though, and boy, did it take forever to load pages at times. Now, the pages come through almost instantaneously. I run a CPU usage meter all the time you can see how those fancy Flash ads use up CPU cycles! It's quite surprising how much CPU power they suck.

Sweep
29-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I block all the ads on this site now. I never used to though, and boy, did it take forever to load pages at times. Now, the pages come through almost instantaneously. I run a CPU usage meter all the time you can see how those fancy Flash ads use up CPU cycles! It's quite surprising how much CPU power they suck.

So you run a CPU usage meter all the time? How many CPU cycles does that use one wonders?

In my humble opinion it's lack of Bandwidth rather than CPU that slow things down.

pkm
30-03-2010, 08:12 AM
So you run a CPU usage meter all the time? How many CPU cycles does that use one wonders?

In my humble opinion it's lack of Bandwidth rather than CPU that slow things down.
Who knows if they are linked. The fact is that flash is CPU intensive and people are using it for everything. Try using no javascript for awhile and compare.

pkm
30-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Been done, but sadly only for digital recording. I don't know if the techniques have been circumvented by the media barons, but it did work fairly reliably.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I find the just the VOLUME on ads to raise my blood pressure. Its like the shows and the advertisements use completely different compression/limiting on purpose to blast you out of your seat.

edit
I also find sites like lifehacker,engadget to make my CPU fan go nuts, even on a clean xp machine.

Rod J
30-03-2010, 01:24 PM

I'm only using the little CPU usage meter in the Gnome panel of Ubuntu and as far as I can tell it's using less than 1% of my CPU. If I click on it it opens the full System Monitor and that uses 2-3% CPU occasionally.

Agent_24
30-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I have some computers which are rather slow, and anything running flash or even a large animated GIF image can cause severe problems.

I don't need some of my systems crippled, so I block ads.

On the faster PCs I could run the ads but why would I want to when they are f**king annoying?

Bandwidth wise it's not much of an issue, so if someone could work out a way to have an ad blocker that downloads the ad (so the site gets money) but doesn't actually show it to me, that would be acceptable to me.

Otherwise, ads, along with spammers and Nigerian fraudsters can all go to the deepest pit in hell.

DUNK
30-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote > Otherwise, ads, along with spammers and Nigerian fraudsters can all go to the deepest pit in hell < End quote.

Well said that man. My feelings exactly. Give yourself a pat on the back!! :D

B.M.
31-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, after giving this matter considerable consideration I have decided to block every Add or Pop-up that I encounter! :(

Blocking the sods should in fact be a crusade! :ban

Further, that Judy Dobson who interrupts my tea whilst watching the 6 O’clock News on TV1, with Worm cures and Healthy Bowels, has been placed on the “Endangered Species List” and will be moved to the “Extinct List” if I ever catch up with her.

There should be a “Hate Add’s” week held every week! :D

B.M.
31-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy, I seem to recall that a guy invented a way back in the old Analogue Black & White days.

From memory there was something in the top part of the TV spectrum where the Horizontal Sync pulses were that identified an Add and this could be used to block it.

There was another annoying feature of Adds where the sound appeared to be turned up for the duration of the Add. Officially I think they described it as compressing the sound but it certainly turned the sound up. :annoyed:

Just can’t remember all the finer details.

Maybe someone can jog my memory? :)

zqwerty
31-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Good on you B.M. I already block everything I can on every web site I can, plus I use Stylish to alter ALL web pages so that only pictures and white text appear on a black background, I hate other peoples, so-called web designers ideas of artistic layouts and colour combinations.

My version in link

Rod J
31-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Further, that Judy Dobson who interrupts my tea whilst watching the 6 O’clock News on TV1, with Worm cures and Healthy Bowels, has been placed on the “Endangered Species List” and will be moved to the “Extinct List” if I ever catch up with her.

:D LOL :thumbs:

zqwerty
31-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Here's another example: