PDA

View Full Version : Threat detected! Trojan horse Dropper.Generic.CDKS

Lovelee
28-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Morning,

Last night hubby pulled up a game he plays 100 times a day. (He has had a mild stroke - doc suggests he play this to help the trauma on the brain) It threw up this threat. He moved it to the vault - removing the program. However, we also hold it on a memory stick for when we change puters or something like this happens. The game is on both laptops. He copied the game from the mem stick to his comp. But it threw up the threat. He gave up for the night.

This morning, the one on the mem stick is showing this threat and lo and behold - when I turned on my laptop - up came the threat.

Ive run CC, Advanced System Care (found one security problem and fixed it), just downloaded SPYBOT, and run it, nothing found.

Now Ive also held the "threat alert" on the desktop.

Running Windows7 .....

I did a search for this - and from the results it looks like a fake alert .. is it? & how do I remove it and have the game still available to play?

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Scan the memory stick as well. It maybe infected. Use malwarebytes, update it then do a full scan. Install a virus scanner on both and scan the whole hdd

Lovelee
28-03-2010, 02:11 PM
OK .. done the malwarebytes on lappy & mem stick .. found nothing.

When I try to start it from the stick it throws up "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them"

The AVG throws the threat again.

I ran AVG over the mem stick and it found the the threat again - but when I ignore it the game still cant be played.

What next?

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I would use somethng better than AVG. Disable system restore.

pctek
28-03-2010, 02:52 PM
It could well be a false positive, I have a screensaver .exe that NOD32 always insists is a virus, it isn't, had it for ages and run it ages ago too.

Lovelee
28-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I would use somethng better than AVG. Disable system restore.

Why disable SR? What he has done now, was to go back to a SR point and the game is working fine.

PCTEK - i think its a false negative .. some of the info when i googled it said that. But AVG wont let go of it.

Ive never had any troubles with AVG before this .. used it for 6 - 7 years .. maybe longer.

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Because if part of it in the SR folder, it'll remove it. And thats what you usually do, if you've got malware

Poppa John
28-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Lovelee...What is the name of the game, it may be good for me as well? Thanks PJ

Sweep
28-03-2010, 09:13 PM
PJ.

For hand eye coordination try this one.

http://flash.abunawaf.com/2005/12/game33.swf

It helped me after my recent stroke and I'm getting better at it.

Basically you just touch the squares in numerical order with the cursor. 1 to 33.

Poppa John
29-03-2010, 11:48 AM
PJ.

For hand eye coordination try this one.

http://flash.abunawaf.com/2005/12/game33.swf

It helped me after my recent stroke and I'm getting better at it.

Basically you just touch the squares in numerical order with the cursor. 1 to 33.

Thanks. 185 seconds at first try. PJ

Sweep
29-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I think mine was 183 at first. Last try was 122

pkm
30-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Just letting you know that PDFs and Flash are becoming very popular methods of infection from malware.

Sweep
30-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Just letting you know that PDFs and Flash are becoming very popular methods of infection from malware.

So are various web sites and etc.

So let us all pull the plug on the internet just in case.