PDA

View Full Version : Turn Off "N" In A USB-Wireless?

SurferJoe46
27-03-2010, 07:21 PM
The "N" part is hogging all my pipe and I hear there's a way to turn it off so my Cat5-e hardwired puters don't get bumped off line when a wireless fires up.

Is that real?

I don't have this problem with my Asus Eee-pc and it shares it space and plays well with the other puters running. But I can't even get another electron out of the pipe when the N unit is running.

I've tried putting the Linksys BEFS41 router as a switch at the first junction from the dish and then adding the Netgear WNR1000 in a port and it grabs the whole pipe.

I tried using just the WNR1000 as a WIFI and also working as a router/switch and the N still grabs all the pipe.

I'm going to bed now - but youse guys are getting sunrise in a bit and I expect to see my In-Box just chock full of answers when I get up. :help:

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2010, 07:26 PM
If whatever is connecting to it, isnt N. Then it wont be running at N speed.

Dont think your first sentence has anything to do with it. Unless maybe you've bridged the connections or something. A wireless connection shouldnt bump a wired connection offline. Sunrise? You mean sunset. Its 7.30 at night. Not 7.30 in the morning

SurferJoe46
28-03-2010, 03:59 AM
If whatever is connecting to it, isnt N. Then it wont be running at N speed.

Don't think your first sentence has anything to do with it. Unless maybe you've bridged the connections or something. A wireless connection shouldnt bump a wired connection offline. Sunrise? You mean sunset. Its 7.30 at night. Not 7.30 in the morning

Ahh - so you wuz up at that ungodly hour?

OK - so I can see I've got some more research to do on this problem.

Whenever the wired unit(s) is/are on and then I turn on the WNR1000, it immediately takes over and tosses the wired units off line and hogs all the access for itself.

Now - like I said my Asus Eee/pc doesn't even bother the signal or the pipe at all.

At the mo - I am running the wired units to a Router/Hub and not using the DSL connex at all. From port #4, I have the WNR plugged in - but when it's OFF everything is going great.

Once the WNR is on and acquires a signal, then the wheels fall off the system and the WIFI takes center stage.

This hard-wired puter I'm using now is in port #1 of the Linksys.
The satellite is in port #4 of the Linksys.
The WNR is in port #3 of the Linksys to port #1 of itself, again not using the DSL port at all.

And at the mo, no other units are on and yet by just turning ON the WNR will drop this unit like a hot rock.

Did you have a nice night's sleep?

Speedy Gonzales
28-03-2010, 08:58 AM
How many PC's altogether?? I would disable QOS packet scheduler, under the LAN properties, on all of them. And what versions of windows are installed?

So, the linksys is the router, and the netgear is the modem/router? It's probably the way you've configured something