PDA

View Full Version : wireless on laptop not working

Laraine Chezick
27-03-2010, 11:25 AM
My HP laptop was fine last night but when I booted up this morning the wireless will not work - checked that it was all connected and even took it to another wireless connection and it still will not pick up the wireless signal -I guess I need a new wireless whatever ?? Does anyone have an idea of the cost NZ$ and how difficult it is to get a new one installed? thanks for your time - Laraine:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Shouldn't cost that much. This may depend on what connections are on it (USB), or other card based slots. And the kind of adapter you want. Shouldn't be that hard to install one. Just plug it in, install the software (if windows doesnt have drivers for it). Then configure it

Laraine Chezick
27-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I bought a USB Wireless dongle - it works fine but each time I close down it will not go again - I enabled windows to access it but am just blundering around in the dark - not enough knowledge to be able to fix it - thats why I asked how much it would be to replace the wireless bit inside the laptop Laraine

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Whats the model of this laptop?

Laraine Chezick
27-03-2010, 11:35 AM
HP Compaq Presario V6106AU Notebook PC - I bought it in 2007 - Laraine

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Are there any firewalls on this (besides the windows one)? And what version of windows is on this? If XP, is SP3 on it?

Laraine Chezick
27-03-2010, 11:47 AM
just windows firewall running on XP home edition with SP3 installed. Has been working fine since I got it - Laraine

wratterus
27-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I have some bad news for you!

The presario V6000 series notebooks are plagued with issues, one of the issues is the pci-e slot (where the wifi card plugs in) failing, seems to be caused by overheating issues, normally with the nvidia graphics..

I could waffle on about it for ages, i've seen heaps with the same problem - it's a motherboard fault and it seems that when the wifi dies, it's only a matter of time before the whole motherboard dies.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01296338&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=sg&lang=en&product=3259106

Step 2: Identify the symptoms
If your computerís product number is listed above, and the notebook PC experiences one or more of the symptoms listed below, contact HP during the Duration of the HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement to determine whether you are eligible for a free repair.
The following symptoms apply to Pavilion dv2000 and Presario v3000 notebooks:

The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.

The following symptoms apply to the dv6000 and v6000 series notebooks:

The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
The notebook has no power and no active LEDs.
The notebook does not start.
The battery charge indicator light does not turn on when the battery is installed and the AC adapter is connected.
The notebook issues a single beep during boot indicating no power.
The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel.

Laraine Chezick
27-03-2010, 11:55 AM
swearing away here to myself - this may push me into purchasing a new one then - blast - just what I dont need - a wonky computer - thanks for your hlep - Laraine

wratterus
27-03-2010, 11:56 AM
No worries, its a monumental PITA, never really liked Compaq's but this has put me off entirely.

Laraine Chezick
27-03-2010, 12:11 PM
I have e mailed HP for support - they may be able to offer some answers for me - cross fingers - Laraine

Laraine Chezick
27-03-2010, 08:38 PM
got a reply - they want all sorts of information which I will try and get for them - say to connect another wireless laptop to the same modem - well I cant do that but have tried my one in Dunedin and it would not work - I will transfer the e mail and deal with it tomorrow - a fresh day to stress me out more - cheers Laraine

Laraine Chezick
29-03-2010, 07:53 PM
their reply was pretty useless - they direct me to a trouble shooting link - if that does not work they offer a repair job or replacement at my cost - well I expected this, when I look on the laptop files there is no sign of a wireless connection - I guess I was expecting miracles !!! thanks for your assistance on this anyway - Laraine

jinja_thom
30-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I suppose it's not just switched off is it? What colour is the illuminated icon?

wratterus
30-03-2010, 03:30 PM
I suppose it's not just switched off is it? What colour is the illuminated icon?

It would still show up in device manager if this was the case. ;)

That sucks, my thought would be pawn it off on trademe before the whole thing craps out and buy a new notebook, there are good prices on Toshiba L500s at the moment.