PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet

Greg
27-03-2010, 11:20 AM
First off... I'm a guy, so I never read the manuals.

My question is... I'm going to stay at a motel for a few days, and they tell me I can have wireless Internet by using my notebook. How do I determine whether this lappie is capable of wireless?

A label next to to the touchpad says "Wireless 802.11n+BT" What the heck does that mean?

And if this lappie is wireless Internet capable, how do I actually access the Internet while I'm away?

I thought I'd ask here first, but possibly I'll have to ask my ISP (Clearnet)?

Sweep
27-03-2010, 11:35 AM
If you use any connection to the Internet you can access any other Web site to which you can logon. You could access your Email via Webmail for instance.

wratterus
27-03-2010, 11:39 AM
And if it says that on your notebook, it will have wireless.

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2010, 11:50 AM
You'll have to be near a wifi hotspot, to get internet with wireless (when youre away)

Greg
27-03-2010, 12:00 PM
You'll have to be near a wifi hotspot, to get internet with wireless (when youre away)But still... how do I do it?

CYaBro
27-03-2010, 12:01 PM
"Wireless 802.11n+BT" means your laptop has the latest 'n' wireless version and also BlueTooth.

nofam
27-03-2010, 12:01 PM
This means your notebook has a built-in wireless adapter - 802.11 is the world-wide standard for the wi-fi protocol. The n refers to the latest generation of that protocol, which is the fastest and has the best range. The +BT means your notebook also support the Bluetooth protocol.

I thought I'd ask here first, but possibly I'll have to ask my ISP (Clearnet)?

You won't need to ask your ISP Greg - motels etc have wireless hotspots; some are free, but most charge. What usually happens is that when you're in range of their wireless LAN, and you connect to it (they don't use encryption) and try to browse to any webpage, you get redirected to the hotspot portal, where you have to buy time. If the Wi-Fi connection is free, you usually just get taken to a portal giving you some information, and then you're free to browse.

Bear in mind that because there is no encryption on these WLAN's, you shouldn't do any internet banking etc.

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2010, 12:03 PM
But still... how do I do it?

You'll have to ask whoever, if they've got it. If they have, you'll have to ask for the details. So, you can use it. It maybe password protected or something. Then configure the wireless. Or you just enable it thats it, you get on the net. Cant tell you HOW to do it. One place, maybe different from another

Greg
27-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks folks for your great replies.

Now I need to know how to configure this B*****d machine to actually access the motel's wireless Internet.

It runs Vista Home Premium. I so hate this Vista!

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Ask them what their settings are. If its open then anyone should be able to use it

linw
27-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Do you see a wireless icon in the bottom right of the desktop? If not, check that your laptop hasn't got a wireless sw set to off (usually on front edge).

If you have a wireless icon, rt click and select connect to network. There is likely a network or two close to you which you should see listed. At the motel, they will tell you the name of their network then you double click it to connect.

Not sure how Vista is your problem????

Look here as well http://www.home-network-help.com/vista-to-connect-wireless-network.html

Greg
27-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Do you see a wireless icon in the bottom right of the desktop? If not, check that your laptop hasn't got a wireless sw set to off (usually on front edge).

If you have a wireless icon, rt click and select connect to network. There is likely a network or two close to you which you should see listed. At the motel, they will tell you the name of their network then you double click it to connect.

Not sure how Vista is your problem????

Look here as well http://www.home-network-help.com/vista-to-connect-wireless-network.html

No icon, but there is a switch in the front which I turned on. I guess that's what you're referring to. Still no icon showing. But I think I can nut it out from here, thanks to all your help.

Re Vista - I'm just unfamiliar with it.

Thanks all.

bob_doe_nz
27-03-2010, 05:06 PM
My question is... I'm going to stay at a motel for a few days

Back up in Jafaville?

Greg
27-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Back up in Jafaville?
Nah... that's still to be worked out. Too many things going on at the moment. Right now I'm planning a few days away with one of my daughters, hubbie and grandbub, when they visit from Aus.

Sadly also having to deal with one of my nephews' death a few days ago. My family seem to be falling down around me like flies :( My brother two years ago, my mum last year, now my neffie.