PDA

View Full Version : W 7 safe mode

effie c
26-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi,
:help:

Can some body telll what I am doing wrong

I want to run Malwarebytes in "safe mode" in a routine scan
When I get to, choices after pressing F8, a highlited "start normally",> and I have to wait while a countdown takes place, as nothing can move while that is happening> and I cannot move the arrows up to start in "safe Mode"

It has been available on this W 7 professional O S --but as always I have done somthing bad--now it won't
:blush:
effie c

wainuitech
26-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Is the keyboard a USB, if so make sure in the BIOS that USB KB is enabled.

Or wireless.

If it is a USB/ Wireless,Try a PS2 keyboard and see if that works.

effie c
27-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Wainui T;

Smart arn't you :thanks

I had trouble again this morning-have just found ---independantly--:illogical what was wrong
Yes it was the wireless set up which Mr xtra gave me for 12 years loyal usuage :yuck:

I had same old same old this morning-could boot up completely, mouse or keyboard would only take two letters of my password and then seize right up--- to now, 11.30 am and was about to re install W7 --just changed USB ports on the spur of the moment-- and bingo I am away laughing--talk about a horseshoe nail causing the battle to be lost

Why would that be?---and I got into safe mode and did my Malwarebyte scan quite successfully

Have not yet had to set up the BIOS---should I yet? as it is working beautifully?

My maligning xtra's free gift has to be taken back:wub

I must have set up the BIOS accidently perhaps
:thanks

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
27-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Some mobos, even tho they support USB, they dont support USB keyboards for things like safe mode / or when you do a clean install of windows.

The other PC here (the P4) wont work with USB keyboards, when doing a clean install. I have to connect a PS2 kb to install windows, then connect the USB kb after. Whereas this one works, no prob at all. I can use it to get into the BIOS, select any option then save the settings. This is using a USB wireless kb (so is the P4)

wainuitech
27-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Not smart -:D Just seen "weird"things happen before.

Bit harder when I ( or others) cant actually see the setup a person has, sometimes it list possible solutions, then hopefully one will work :nerd:

What happened ?? could just be drivers got screwed up for some reason, and putting into a different USB port, installed fresh drivers.

Got a customer who had a wireless setup, KB & mouse, at least once every 3 months I had to go back , plug in a wired setup to get the wireless working again.
In the end she just brought the KB/mouse I had ( wouldn't let me take it away) :lol: When wireless works its fine, but when it plays up, you still usually need a wired connection to fix it.