PDA

View Full Version : Login string via a hyperlink

sheepish
26-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I want to design a link to place in a webpage that contains the URL to another site and a generic login and password.

My level of HTML expertise is middling, but I am sure this can be done.

Can anyone provide me the syntax please?

Something like
https://theotherwebsite.net/CompanyName/login/cnLogin.jsp?inline=true&kick=1234567890123/username-password??

The first bit is what I have already (anonymised) - the "username-password" is the bit I need the syntax for.

The login is to access an online application - the login is to enable access to a low level access account for the purposes of training.

Thanks

Erayd
26-03-2010, 07:03 PM
First up, note that this is unlikely to work unless the designer of the other site used BASIC authentication, or doesn't have the first clue about securing web applications. Login details should never be passed via a GET request.

With that said, it should be possible to organise something that works, although you may have to do a bit of scripting to pull it off. What kind of login system does the other site use?

sheepish
26-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry - not quite sure what you're asking.

Erayd
27-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Sorry - not quite sure what you're asking.I'm asking how the other site you're trying to access processes logins. As there is no 'standard' way to log in via a URL (other than BASIC, which isn't normally used for security reasons), we need to know more about what the login process requires in order to help you.
What kind of authentication system does the other site use - BASIC, DIGEST, NTLM, certificate validation, or (most likely) some other custom system?
Does the site provide some kind of API for remote logins?
Does it accept logins via a standard POST request (most do)?
What are the required field names for the login to succeed?
Does it require a session token?
Does it require a load-specific token?
Does it require cookie data to be sent back?
Does it need you to follow redirects?
The easiest thing would be if you can simply give us the URL of the site you're trying to log into.

sheepish
27-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your help - have managed to locate the syntax.

It must be a male thing. Went back and read the documentation, and there it was!!

Allows both HTTP GET and HTTP POST methods, preferably (!!!) via https and requires three parameters: username, password and failure/logout URL...

Should be able to sort it from here...

Erayd
27-03-2010, 04:46 PM
OK - best of luck, and give us a yell if you require any further assistance :).