PDA

View Full Version : Search function On Windows XP Home

dianne pierce
26-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Edition service pack 3 stopped working. Using IE 8. Also I could not download adobe flashplayer from Westpacs site but managed to get it from another site. Now I can see it listed in Add/Remove but without the search function I can't find it as there is no desktop icon. Prior to these problems McAfee detected 8 viruses and removed them all. I have run malwarebytes, S & D , cc cleaner, avira and all come up clean.

wainuitech
26-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Try this:

Click start, click run, in the run box type the following commands one at a time, hitting enter after each one

regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

You should get a confirmation box saying it has been successful after each command.

Retry search. ( may need a reboot sometimes)

Edit: note space after 32

dianne pierce
26-03-2010, 11:19 PM
wainuitech you are brilliant!!! That worked a treat. The search function has been restored. Now next problem as the viruses seem to have caused a load of problems on the laptop.
1. Tried downloading adobe flashplayer from westpacs website but download now icon would not start the download.
2. Couldn't download it from either tucows or major geeks, finally found a site and it downloaded okay then I couldn't locate it as the search function wasn't working yet I could see the programme listed under add/remove.
3. Used search function just now, 2 files showing as adobe flashplayer but when I clicked on both those icons a message came up "do you want to buy Nero?'
4. Just removing "Nero" and will report back to you after I try and download adobe flashplayer again

Speedy Gonzales
26-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Create a folder and download files to it. So you KNOW where they're downloading to. THEN you wont have to search for them

wainuitech
26-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Download flash player from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html) -- on the download page UNTICK the McAfee security "extra" Shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Untick.jpg)

dianne pierce
26-03-2010, 11:43 PM
wow you guys are good!!! Thank you so so much. Flashplayer downloaded successfully thank you so much. Hi to you speedy - thanks to you too. Normally everything downloads to a temporary folder and the download normally places an icon the desktop, the time I referred to getting flashplayer it didn't do that. Anyway, its all up and going now and I am so grateful for the help I received here.

pctek
27-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Prior to these problems McAfee detected 8 viruses and removed them all. I have run malwarebytes, S & D , cc cleaner, avira and all come up clean.

Don't use 2 antivirus programs.
I'd ditch McAfee.