PDA

View Full Version : Mobile broadband on linux box?

optusone
26-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Can I use those Vodafone or Telecom prepaid broadband sticks for the software update of a linux box ?The linux receiver has a network card input,which is normally used with a broadband router.What hardware do I need to connect the stick to the box? Have a good day Optusone

Rod J
26-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Not exactly sure what you mean, but I used to use a Vodafone vodem myself some time ago. It used to connect via a USB port. But at that time I was using it with Windows XP and the driver and application that came with it was definitely proprietary Vodafone software. However, I have heard that you can connect them with drivers in Linux too. I never made a serious attempt at that time to do this. Now I'm using Ubuntu Linux exclusively and internet is through a router via a wireless USB device (not using the vodem now).

optusone
26-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I dont want to connect the stick with the computer,but with a receiver,which works on the Linux system.And this receiver got a network card as an input for a cable which usually comes from a router.But because I will not have a landline any longer,I try to use a Vodafone or Telecom stick.Now I'm not shure how to connect the stick to the Linux receiver.(Its for updating software via internet).

Speedy Gonzales
26-03-2010, 01:01 PM
What do you mean by a receiver? You mean like a WI-FI adapter?

Since you wont have a landline, and you dont want one of these sticks, then how is it going to get on the net otherwise?

Erayd
26-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Can I use those Vodafone or Telecom prepaid broadband sticks for the software update of a linux box?Yes - almost all of them will work just fine. Note that you will need to have some kind of ppp software installed to use it (they look like a dialup modem to the system), and sometimes usb_modeswitch, depending on which piece of hardware you're using.

The linux receiver has a network card input,which is normally used with a broadband router.What hardware do I need to connect the stick to the box? Have a good day OptusoneI'm not sure what you mean by 'Linux Receiver' - but generally you plug these things in via the USB port, and they show up on the system looking like a dialup modem (usually on /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB0). The network port doesn't have anything to do with it.