PDA

View Full Version : No Email Support for Trademe?

GordonBennet
24-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi All

I've resisted joining TradeMe up till now, but today I relented and decided I was cutting off my nose to spite my face since they are so dominant there are certain things that can't really be done without them (esp. since Trade&Exchange stopped publishing).

Anyway, I joined and immediately had a question that wasn't answered in the on-line help (yes, I checked thoroughly).

The "Contact Us" link just leads back to the help. Damned if I'm going to pay $1.99+GST per minute just to point out a flaw in their set-up.

I'm afraid that this frustration, within the first few minutes of joining, rather makes me feel I was right to steer clear of them all these years.

Anyway, in case anyone knows the answer, my point was this: They require a non-mobile phone for registration. I don't have one and haven't had one for about 6 years. Why pay telecom $40 a week when I have my cellphone on me at all times? I would never make more than $40 of outgoing calls in a month in these days of email and internet-everything.

So I used an old phone number to get past that sticking point intending to "fess up" immediately and find some compromise. The most web-savvy people are those least likely to have a land-line, and those surely are TM's core customers anyway!

pctek
24-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Make the number (02)xxx-xxxx and leave it at that.
They don't check very often. In all the years I have been with them they only rang me once, and that's because I tried to create a new username. Not allowed.

I used to have their real ph number but too many people got to know it and they changed it.

Contact us does go to help, but then there's a "did that answer your question?" click here to message us button.

I wouldn't bother, leave the number alone, they'll just be unreasonable about it, they always are.

GordonBennet
24-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for your advice.

Driftwood
24-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I know I'm a bit behind the times, but if you havent got a land line, how do you use the intenet.

Erayd
24-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I know I'm a bit behind the times, but if you havent got a land line, how do you use the intenet.

There are many more ways of getting internet access than via a phone line - for example: Cable
Satellite
Mobile / cellular
WiFi

Nomad
24-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Woosh?

Jen
24-03-2010, 07:34 PM
The "Contact Us" link just leads back to the help. Damned if I'm going to pay $1.99+GST per minute just to point out a flaw in their set-up. I found the email help page within a couple of clicks.

Click on Help, and then the "Registering" option link. Under "Did this answer your question?" click on the "No" button and you end up here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Help/ContactUsForm.aspx?help_id=152&help_section=true).

Erayd
25-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Woosh?
...is a WiFi provider.

Greg
25-03-2010, 05:11 AM
www.te.co.nz (http://www.te.co.nz)

GordonBennet
26-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

Yes, I have mobile broadband on my laptop. So I'm totally mobile and see no need for land-line connections at all.

Good that one can find the "contact us" within a couple of clicks. Just so long as you know which two clicks they are. I didn't find a Q&A that matched my enquiry so I never got to the second click. There's a million dollars hidden in my flat. You only have to look in one place. Couldn't be easier. If you don't find it first place you look you pay me a million dollars. Care to try?

Yes, T&E is on-line, but as a pale imitation of TradeMe. I personally miss the days of a huge paper T&E where you could just find a seller nearby, ring him up, thrash out all the issues in a few minutes, drop round, see and try the goods, see all the receipts, etc. without committing yourself and without providing name rank and serial number, and potentially have the goods in your hands within 20 minutes of seeing the ad. Of course, not as good if the seller was in Dunedin ....

Still, I'm not crying over the march of technology. Yes I buy stuff over the internet sometimes and I like the prices. I just regret the "Walmart" syndrome where few competitors survive in the shadow of one totally dominant player.

Agent_24
27-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Not having a phone doesn't mean you don't have a phone line.

And ADSL can work on a phone line without a phone on it, it's called naked DSL.