PDA

View Full Version : Seagate External HDD died

Craig Mellor
23-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi, nearly a week ago now my Seagate 500GB HDD decided it wouldn't work. It was working fine the day before, the only thing I installed the day it did not work is after I installed Daemon Tools Lite, for research purposes/comparability.

I have not tried to restore to an earlier point as I was trying other methods, which have not worked as of yet.

i plug in the HDD to power and my computer (USB), its outer light shines it usual orange and starts up as normal, well the noise it makes, but then my computer doesn't seem to recognise the device.

I uninstalled DTL, but that made no difference.

I have a lot of important documents on the HDD and need them asap.

Does anyone know whats up or know how to fix this?

Thanks.

PinoyKiw
23-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Have you tried it on a different computer.?

Maybe try something like Puppy Linux to see if you can see the drive ?

Not really my field so clutching at straws, someone else may have a better idea.

Craig Mellor
23-03-2010, 05:23 PM
No not yet, will do by the weekend when I have time if nothing else can be done.

Oh and also, the HDD is only 15months old if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your suggestion/help.

wainuitech
23-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh and also, the HDD is only 15months old if that makes any difference Doesn't matter how old it is, HDD's can and do die at any time - 5 minutes or years later.

You can try taking the drive out of the enclosure and slaving it directly to another PC, see if its a drive failure, or just the enclosure turned turtle, could just be a circuit board died in the enclosure.

paulw
23-03-2010, 05:51 PM
We had a Seagate die last week at work. I decided to have a look at it. Boy these things are not designed for enduser drive replacement..

PinoyKiw
23-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh and also, the HDD is only 15months old if that makes any difference.

Not sure what a Seagate Warranty is worth, 2 years ? But even under warranty, if the drive is replaced it might not / probably not include any data recovery. And if they repaired the drive rather than replace it, you could still lose your data.