PDA

View Full Version : Help with Drive Imaging Please

Billy T
23-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi Team

I'm still working on the set-up of my new computer but it is a lengthy task and I can't spend a lot of time on it at present. In the meantime I'm still using my old computer and it is starting to get rather flakey. It took four attempts to get it to boot this morning so clearly the hard drive's days are numbered.

I've backed up all my data to my USB drive in case the OS drive fails completely and I lose access to the data drive, but I have a good 20GB drive here that I would like to load a bootable C drive image onto to give me some breathing space as I have some very pushy clients breathing down my neck at present.

I tried to image the C drive this morning using Drive Image but ran into a VSS error (DLL VSSAPI.DLL could not be found). A thorough search didn't find it anywhere on this or my Wk2 laptop drives, and most references are to server 2003 which makes me wonder if it is compatible with this OS version.

Anyway, I have downloaded a copy of the DLL but don't know where to put it. Does it go in winnt\system32 or system32\dllcache or wherever??

Just to keep the issue clear, what I want out of all this is to create a bootable C drive from an image of the old drive. Then I'll swap drives, cross fingers and hope it goes. It is working fine right now, except foe the sound problem, I'm using it to do work etc and all seems normal.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

Continuing my search, I came across this on a forum: "The Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is a new service in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. It is essentially a framework facilitating communication between applications, storage subsystems, and storage management applications (including backup applications) in order to define, persist and exploit point-in-time copies of storage data.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

Not looking promising, :( what other free imaging programs can copy live disks and produce bootable clones?

smurf
23-03-2010, 02:43 PM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=108204

Billy have a look at this thread.....Macrium vs Paragon both are free. I have used both and Paragon is good.

AvonBill
23-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I've had this problem with Drive Image before too and didn't find a fix.
Last weekend I used the free version of Easeus Todo Backup to clone my C: drive. Tried the new disk and worked just fine.

Easeus wasn't so good at doing a partition backup directly to DVD. No problems though backing up to an external USB disk drive.

PPp
23-03-2010, 06:22 PM
What Operating system is running on "Flakey"

Billy T
23-03-2010, 09:38 PM
"Flakey" was running W2K, but probably isn't any more, it froze while I was busy working on the new computer (wilful neglect, Mrs T reckons, spurned and unloved she said, like the favourite shoes that you now wear to mow the lawns or take the garbage out) so anyway, I switched it off and kept on working on this one, which is now on line (rather obviously I guess) and I've been loading more programs etc. Interestingly, I couldn't install Firefox from either the PCW February or March DvDs, they said the file was corrupt but the December/January copy was fine. All were the same version number so I guess I got two shonky DvDs. Cleaning didn't help!

About two hours before 'old flakey' froze, it suddenly started a very loud buzz-saw noise from my speakers, which was exactly the same as last time, and funnily enough I was doing was also doing exactly the same thing with the computer as well: playing around with an external USB hard drive enclosure. I was putting in a good but empty 20GB drive to take the image of the old C drive! I turned the speakers off and it carried on normally for a few hours then it locked up solid. :badpc:

Funnily enough I was about to try Easus when it all went tits up on me. I'll see if it boots in the morning and if it does, I'll give that a try.

I didn't much like the puce-green colour scheme on XP or how it looked on Office 2003 either, I changed that to 'Classic' right-smart!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mzee
23-03-2010, 10:52 PM
There is a copy of 'Paragon' drive image program on the last PC World DVD.
it is free & is comparable to Acronis 11 which is very good. I have used it with XP and W7, no problems.

Sweep
23-03-2010, 10:56 PM
You can always use Seagate Disc Wizard which is also free.

Billy T
24-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Nothing like a good insult to scare a computer into submission! Seems it took offence at being called Flakey and when I turned it on today to see what would happen, it went straight into a disk check that I had thoughtfully scheduled in case it crashed (yes really, two brain cells did rub together, and inadvertently gave birth to a flash of intelligence) so when the check finished and repairs were completed it booted nicely into W2K with no machine guns from the speakers. I'll stay away from the USB drive!

I've exported my desktop shortcuts and Internet favourites which was all I really wanted at present, though if it holds up I'll check my email as well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Big John
24-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Norton Ghost 15 works well. Had me back up and running after a HD failure in about an hour. Only issue is that it only allows about 3 partitions to be made while restoring. I used a seperate prgram to partition before hand and then simply restored back to them after.

Billy T
25-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I used to use Norton Ghost back when it was necessary to image using a boot disk, but now I want to image an operating drive because I'll want to know it was in a working state. Cross fingers, it ran all day yesterday no problems, the disk check ran ok this morning, and it booted OK again, in fact I'm using it right now.

Once I have a known good image I'll swap in a new drive, restore to it and I'll be able to relax and phase out the use of this computer in an orderly fashion as I load all my programs and data onto the new one.

For obvious reasons I don't want to have to go and buy a new imaging program, but it is important that I use a reliable program that can image the OS while it is up and active (though I won't be touching it while it is imaging, and all external stuff will be disconnected).

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

Big John
30-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I used to use Norton Ghost back when it was necessary to image using a boot disk, but now I want to image an operating drive because I'll want to know it was in a working state. Cross fingers, it ran all day yesterday no problems, the disk check ran ok this morning, and it booted OK again, in fact I'm using it right now.

Billy 8-{) :)

The latest version of Ghost does that. You can restore seperate files, the whole lot which is restored to the partition you select.

I had one of my RAID0 drives fail on me. Had 6 partitions to restore so used a seperate partition boot disk first and set up the drive, then booted with the Ghost restore CD and restored all the files. The machine booted up exactly from when it was backed up.

It works with Vista okay but not sure about Windows 7 but version 15 is suppose to and appears to on my laptop (have not needed to restore that yet).