PDA

View Full Version : Changing ISPs

Nomad
23-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi, I am thinking of doing this.

What is the down time expected?
After I register with new ISP when can I connect?
How can I plan it ie., end of the months cycle with my current ISP and then hop onto new one asap.
Anything to do other than give the ISP a call and arrange payment etc?

Cheers.

Nomad
23-03-2010, 10:01 AM
In addition, Orcon advertise BB + phone for $69.95, who gets this? I could only get $79.95 on their standard purple plan.

Cheers

inphinity
23-03-2010, 10:28 AM
The Bronze+ plan is Homeline +1GB broadband for $69.95. It may only be available in their Orcon+ network area, I'm not sure.

Your best bet is to just phone the ISP you're looking to join to find out how long they take to transition a customer. It could be anywhere from 1 - 14 days, depending on how they handle it and a number of other factors.

Nomad
23-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes it does seem to be Orcon+ only at that price, available to Auckland but Wellington CBD and inner suburbs only.

Oh well.

Question.
Why is the Purple+ Package $79.95 (with phone) when I can get it for $34.95 and just keep my phoneline with Telecom (~$41).

I reset my modem (Xnet) almost 2 weeks ago, late last week I had a outage for a moment, lol.

inphinity
23-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Purple+ for $79.95 is naked DSL, with 15GB data. The $34.95 Purple plan is DSL on a 1GB plan, and requires your tolls to be with Orcon.

Really, your best bet is to phone Orcon, or just read their website.

Nomad
23-03-2010, 02:24 PM
My mistake.

It is the standard Purple plan with a homeline, 1GB data for $79.95, I could get it for $34.95 and then get my line with Telecom for $41 right? Of course put my tolls to Orcon to get the reduced price.

Rent your Homeline from another provider if you really want to (or move it to Orcon and get it all on one bill)

Not sure if we would go with Naked ADSL. Great in theory at least. The folks are not computer literate. If the net goes down they may be without a phone for a while. Ditto with the issue of sharing bandwidth, which I know too little about. I'm not in the Orcon+ area either ...