PDA

View Full Version : Asus Warranty in NZ, Update and new issues

bluetheice
23-03-2010, 10:38 AM
For the original story check this thread
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?p=886246#post886246

Long story short, so I took my ati 4670 to their service center yesterday. The guy there says he need to ask what to do for anything other then Notebooks. Apparently the service center is only responsible for repair Notebooks. So I left he with my details and went home, just now I got a call from him. But it was a not cheerful news. He says they will provide the repair service, but the only place that they can do it is in Sydney, he then says I have to pay for the freight.

And guess how much the freight is? $60, that's correct, 60 bucks. When I brought the card I only spend $150, why on earth would I pay $60 to get it fixed when they should be paying for it. Asus, I have to say you let me down.

So now I have decided to fix the fan myself, and I am here again seeking some help. It seems the fan is 80mm in dimension12v, 0.15A, however, I don't know the rpm.
Does all 80mm fan have the same spec in terms of rpm?
I mean I can always buy a bigger fan, but then I'd have to power it via the 4 pin connector in stead.

It also has a special mount designed for the heatsink (see picture).
http://i42.tinypic.com/e7ndhj.jpg
How can I attach the fan to the heatsink? There seems to be no place to screw the fan on.

nedkelly
23-03-2010, 11:01 AM
most graphic card fans have their speed controlled by the heat of the GPU. Gets hot spins faster.

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Well I would check and see what the size of the fan is before you replace it. Otherwise it may not fit. Or it may fit, but it wont spin. Thats if you can remove the fan, thats on it. Thats what the casing the fan is in, is for. It probably wasnt meant to get screwed to the heatsink. Can you remove the fan?

pctek
23-03-2010, 12:58 PM
I took my ati 4670 to their service center yesterday.
He says they will provide the repair service, but the only place that they can do it is in Sydney, he then says I have to pay for the freight.

Ring them back, ask for the manager, tell them the card is under warranty and you want it replaced.

inphinity
23-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Worth a shot, but I'm not sure that they're required to do much of anything since the product technically isn't theirs (it was bought overseas and thus, not purchased through Asus New Zealand or one of it's retail partners). Maybe you can contact the Sydney service centre directly?

pablo d
23-03-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure that they're required to do much of anything since the product technically isn't theirs (it was bought overseas and thus, not purchased through Asus New Zealand or one of it's retail partners).

This. Outta luck tbh, unless it specifically comes with an international warranty.

bluetheice
23-03-2010, 03:18 PM
most graphic card fans have their speed controlled by the heat of the GPU. Gets hot spins faster.

Yes, but right now I don't care about speed control. So it doesn't matter if the replacement fan always operates at its maximum speed. What concerns me is that if I brought a fan which has a maximum rpm LOWER then the original fan, it wouldn't cool the unit fast enough.

pctek
23-03-2010, 03:35 PM
the product technically isn't theirs (it was bought overseas and thus, not purchased through Asus New Zealand or one of it's retail partners).

It is theirs. ASUS is ASUS.
In my experience they do honour their warranties in situations like this.

Ring the manager.

inphinity
23-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Oh, sure, they can, I'm just pointing out that legally, as far as I am aware, they (Asus New Zealand) are not obliged to (though Asus Global or whatever the manufacturer is called, should be).