PDA

View Full Version : 16 bit MS-DOS error

Lurking
23-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Have just upgraded motherboard to a gigabyte AMD S series from an Intel board.

Win XP SP3 used to bring up older MS-DOS software on previous board.

The fix below, just like me sits there just looking stupid!

The XP Home edition CD with SP 2 must be the cause perhaps?

Is there a way around this without having to re-install and download SP3 again.

Thanks or any help.

Lurking.
Attached file: 16_bit_MS-DOS_Subsystem.bmp (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/16_bit_MS-DOS_Subsystem.bmp) (163 KB)

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Could mean anything (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=the+ntvdm+cpu+has+encountered+an+illegal+ instruction+windows+xp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a). Could be a virus. Whats access.com belong to?

mzee
23-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I use two DOS programs, Professional File, and Neopaint. They used to work with XP until sp2 came along.

The solution is DOS BOX, an emulator which runs all Dos software with any Windows including XP sp2 & sp3 & W7.

Just do a Google for Dos Box, it is free.

nedkelly
23-03-2010, 10:38 AM
also plays old games really well

KarameaDave
23-03-2010, 11:20 AM
+1 for DOSBox
Failing that you could run it in a virtual Windows 98se or whatever.

Lurking
23-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all of your replies.

Speedy, I shot this one through on another link. Without success.

The main difficulty is with the NZ Soc of Genealogy Index Ver 5 2008, always came up using XP SP3.

I have always been a fan of Lotus products and these have always come through with XP SP3, more specific Lotus Symphony (the first intergrated software) Access.com part of this package.

Virus software Avast not picked up any virus, MSSE in there tooooo.

mzee will try DOS BOX and let you know.

Lurks.

Speedy Gonzales
23-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Use 1.3 of Lotus Symphony then. Since its windows based, and free. And will probably do the same thing. Altho, by the looks of it, even tho there's a DOS and windows version. Theyre not related

Lurking
23-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks Speedy, I have the last ver 3 of Lotus Symphony, thanks to the generosity of Lotus Australia in 1993.

Believe it, it was Windows based in 1992, days of Win 3.1 and has come right through to XP.

Didn't want to use the lappy with it, it's XP Pro.

KarameaDave: could even use the machine with Win98SE, but WTF should one have to use another machine!.

mzee, that DosBox just loops like the Windows Quick Fix software.

Speedy if it is a virus, why hasn't Avast picked it up?

KarameaDave
23-03-2010, 04:44 PM
KarameaDave: could even use the machine with Win98SE, but WTF should one have to use another machine!.

:confused:

mzee
23-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I have DOSbox on 2 computers with XPpro Sp3 and one with W7 Ultimate. Works fine on all of them, so there must be something wrong with your hardware or Windows.

mzee
23-03-2010, 10:45 PM
There is one thing you could try. In Windows XP there is a folder called 'repair'. Copy the files from this folder to your 'system' folder & the 'system32' folders.

This can restore the 16bit support this way.

Lurking
24-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks mzee, will have to go back to PCU who upgraded the machine and see what the problem might be.

First time I have used them for years and the staff turnovers doesn't help either.

Copied the repair folder to both system/system32 folders and still the same loop and nothing.

Would the difference in file structure be the problem, new drive is NTFS whereas old hard drive was Fat32.

Lurks.

Lurking
24-03-2010, 05:16 PM
:confused:

WhyThe F**k, shouldn't be hard to work out!.

Did you come from Karamea?

My Grandparents came from over that way. Sally Anns, so perhaps I should not have used the expletive in your case, sorry if I have offended.

Lurks.

KarameaDave
24-03-2010, 07:50 PM
No, you haven't offended me. :)
Just being smart really:p
I used to live in Karamea but am not a 'Local'
Will move back to our house there soon!:clap:banana:clap

mzee
24-03-2010, 11:10 PM
My drives are NTFS.

Dos Box should show up as Dos when you run it, but will not do anything until the 'inf' is set up. At the end of the page it will create a virtual drive C which will = your drive\progname.exe

The earlier DossBox had problems with Sp3 & W7, but the latest is fine.