PDA

View Full Version : vista key invalid for activation

williamF
23-03-2010, 02:32 AM
ok i've reinstalled vista using a borrowed disk and a key i've obtained from the old install i had, it installs with it but it says its invalid for activation

i would call MS but im not sure what their number is

but thank christ and kami sama that i can use my touch pad again i was sick of using mousekeys

gary67
23-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Plagiarised from one of the resident techs on here

They usually wont actually ask for the product key, you call them on the toll free number 0800 676 334, then press 2 (From Memory) you need to enter in the 36 or 42 digit code (can’t remember the amount off the top of my head) on a touch tone phone that windows generates. No letters like in the product code.

You then wait and listen to the woffle about already being installed and if you think this message is incorrect press 1 (from memory again) to actually speak to a person.

You then answer any questions, like is it installed on any other PC's etc.

As long as they believe you, they then give you a new 36/42 digit code, 3 numbers at a time which you are meant to enter, mind you if you don't have the PC you will need to tell them that.

They usually don't ask for the actual product key unless there is a problem

Second what Speedy mentioned - easy enough if the product key Is legit and you have the COA Sticker - if it doesn't activate you call MS on 0800 676 334,

Select option 2 ( activate Windows) punch in the 42 digit numbers on the phone - it will come back as invalid (if you tried on line and it failed) press 1 ( From Memory) to speak to a MS rep.

They confirm the first 6 numbers, you tell them you had to reinstall the OS from the Product key on the side of the PC because the Mother board blew - they ask is the key on any other PC- you say NO- they give you a new set of 42 numbers 3 at a time and bingo - all done.

wainuitech
23-03-2010, 08:01 AM
What gary put above is correct, no big deal.

a key i've obtained from the old install i had, it installs with it but it says its invalid for activation If it was a key from a factory Install, Eg: Dell, Compaq etc, then it wont activate - that is a COA that the big name brands use, and its on hundreds of Different PC's - wont come up as legit.

if you call MS with only that key, usually they will say You need to use the COA thats on the case, or that came with Vista, either OEM or Retail.

pablo d
23-03-2010, 01:47 PM
^yeah it's breaching the EULA if that's what you're doing.

gary67
23-03-2010, 08:06 PM
What gary put above is correct, no big deal.

Ha ha that was your work I copy such snippets into word and save them in my PC tips folder, I must thank you all one day for providing such tips, saves me from having to search the forum. :thanks:thanks

Agent_24
27-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Ah so it didn't work then? I guess Wainuitech was right...

There are alternatives to calling Microsoft, which in the event you have a legit key I would consider legal.

williamF
31-03-2010, 05:06 PM
got nowhere fast on the phone and clicking buy new product key just "validates" windows and doesnt do anything for me

williamF
31-03-2010, 05:48 PM
stuff it, it cost me $280 but at least it'll be fresh install, legit and vista ultimate
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=281118213

Agent_24
01-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Good luck with that one, hope you get it all sorted in the end.