PDA

View Full Version : No re-install CD but have i386 folder

Ferg
22-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Trying to do a reinstall on an IBM Thinkpad T42, XP Pro.

There is no sign of a restore partition and restore CD's long gone.

However there is an i386 folder on C drive that has all the cabinet files etc in it.

Is there a way of using this to somehow re-install windows? I could not find a Setup.exe file within the file, other than one named setup.ex_ . All the files have the last letter replaced by an underscore.

I have an XP Pro disk, but it does not accept the IBM product keys.

I had a vague idea of somehow replacing the i386 folder on my XP pro disk with the one from the IBM drive.

How do you Pro's do reinstalls/repairs when clients have lost the disks, other than using the devils own product key?

Thanks folks.

wainuitech
22-03-2010, 04:16 PM
How do you Pro's do reinstalls/repairs when clients have lost the disks, other than using the devils own product key? can't tell you that - if we did we would have to kill you afterwards :p :lol:

Personally I have quite a selection of XP CD's of various flavors, so just use the customers COA on the side of the case.

BUT if the i386 folder is still there on the drive/OS you can do a repair install :

Reboot the PC in Safe Mode with command Prompt ,You should then have something like C: documents and settings\your name\

Type in CD C:\I386 <Enter>

Type in winnt32.exe <Enter>

Agree to anything, this should then reinstall windows as doing a repair install.

When asked, enter the product key that’s on the Case or on the box the CD Case / Packet the XP CD came in, it will reboot several times this is normal, it will take approximately an hour.

HOPEFULLY when it reboots you will have your Desktop all up and going, you may need to reactivate the OS, that’s a phone call to MS on their activation window, and tell them you had to reinstall from the product key on the PC.

Like always, make sure all data is backed up in case it turns to custard.

Ferg
22-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks Mate!! :thumbs:

It's happily installing now, using the key from the side of the case.

I have been stewing on this one for days, the answer was so simple.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Ferg