PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Email Question

Mallu
22-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi,

Our outbound mail is handled by our Exchange mail server & is sent directly from the mail server to the receiving mail server – no relaying or smtp forwarding.

We have developed an application to send out "Bulk emails" as a "Client".

1. What are the implications if the "receiving mail server" does a reverse lookup?
2. Will creating "another" new domain and setup the records to point to our "current Public IP" a better solution?
3. Or "Whitelist" ourselves with ISPs as "Mass Mailers"?

Thanks
Mallu

fred_fish
22-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi,

Our outbound mail is handled by our Exchange mail server & is sent directly from the mail server to the receiving mail server – no relaying or smtp forwarding.

We have developed an application to send out "Bulk emails" as a "Client".
So with a different domain part from your mail server's FQDN?
Unless your "Clients" are using SPF or DKIM it 'should' work.

1. What are the implications if the "receiving mail server" does a reverse lookup?Depends on their policy, most only check for a valid PTR, or one that matches your mail server's HELO. It would be uncommon to be rejected b/c the servername didn't match the sending domain part.

2. Will creating "another" new domain and setup the records to point to our "current Public IP" a better solution?I doubt it.

3. Or "Whitelist" ourselves with ISPs as "Mass Mailers"?Good luck with that.

Thanks
Mallu

Erayd
22-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Our outbound mail is handled by our Exchange mail server & is sent directly from the mail server to the receiving mail server – no relaying or smtp forwarding.What kind of connection is this on? If it's on anything other than a datacentre connection, it's most likely listed in the spamhaus RBL system - and therefore most decent mail systems will drop mail coming from your address like a hot potato, or at least flag it as spam.

If you have a static IP, request that it be whitelisted in the spamhaus database. If you have a dynamic IP, you should *never* be sending mail from it directly, and should relay via your ISP's server.

Does your mailserver's external IP have a valid PTR record? If not, you will need to arrange one, or relay through another server.

1. What are the implications if the "receiving mail server" does a reverse lookup?Almost all of them will - and you'll need a valid PTR record (the domain doesn't have to match), and ideally a valid SPF record on the client domain that allows you to send mail as them.

2. Will creating "another" new domain and setup the records to point to our "current Public IP" a better solution?Not really - there's not much you can do with a new domain that you can't already do with the one you have.

3. Or "Whitelist" ourselves with ISPs as "Mass Mailers"?Depending on your ISP this may be required, however note that it's by no means the biggest show-stopper. PTR records and spamhaus are the most important things here.

Mallu
26-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Sorry I was away and couldn't check your response earlier.

I am trying to get my head around this "BULK EMAILING" system.

Yes, we have a Static IP address.
How can I check if it's whitelisted in the spamhaus database?

I don't think we have a valid PTR record.
Can you pl explain what you meant by "or relay through another server."

Can you pl let me know (or suggest) what system I need to have in place to ensure that "bulk" emails sent thru an application is received "in-full" by the receipient (ie: Outbound setup). Without any spam. Please note we send the bulk emails as a "client" using client's email address.

The information I currently have are:

Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
Static IP address
Domian hosted by TelstraClear
Email program written in C#, emails are sent with PDF attachments

Appreciate your help & time.

Regards
Mallu

Erayd
26-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes, we have a Static IP address.Good - running a (proper) mailserver isn't really possible without one.

How can I check if it's whitelisted in the spamhaus database?Check here (http://www.spamhaus.org/) - the list you mainly need to worry about is the PBL, although it's worth checking the others too just to make sure.

I don't think we have a valid PTR record.Then you will need to contact whoever provides your server's IP address and ask for one to be set up. This should match the FQDN hostname of the server if possible.

Can you pl explain what you meant by "or relay through another server."I mean configure your mail server to relay all outbound mail via another mailserver (usually your ISP's), rather than delivering it directly. This avoids most of the problems / hassles associated with running your own mailservers.

Can you pl let me know (or suggest) what system I need to have in place to ensure that "bulk" emails sent thru an application is received "in-full" by the receipient (ie: Outbound setup).There's no such thing as 'in-part'. Either they will get it, or they won't - you will never be in the situation of having them only receive half of your message.

Without any spam.That's a little harder, and depends on what you're doing. Are you able to explain what it is exactly you're trying to send out, and who it's from / to?

Please note we send the bulk emails as a "client" using client's email address.If you are doing this, then note that you will need to be included in the client's SPF records, otherwise you'll show up as either 'unknown server - probably spam' or 'unknown server - definitely spam', depending on how permissive the client's SPF policy is.