PDA

View Full Version : Remote Shutdown over Windows 7

GorCh
22-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi there,

Over the weekend I got a new Laptop (EeePC 1000H). It is running windows 7. To save on hdd space I am using my desktop (also Win7) to serve my media from, shared through a Homegroup and windows media centre primarily.

Ideally I would like to be able to shut down my main pc remotely when I'm finished with it. Have been trying to use the command line;

shutdown m \\mydesktop r f

but I get an error "access denied(5)"

The two PC's have the same user name as admin, and the same password.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Cheers,

GorCh

gary67
22-03-2010, 12:24 PM
I use teamviewer to do this from my Win7 to my media backup PC (it's out in the garage) running XP home since it can't do remote desktop

fred_fish
22-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Are you running it as administrator on your local machine?

You could also use telnet (after enabling the service on the target) to log in and issue the shutdown.

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Probably have to run it as admin or kill UAC

wainuitech
22-03-2010, 01:19 PM
What version of Windows 7 is it, Home Pre, Professional, ultimate ?? You have to change the security settings to allow remote shutdown.

Windows 7 Home Premium Doesn't have gpedit which is where you need to alter the settings.

SolMiester
22-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi there,

Over the weekend I got a new Laptop (EeePC 1000H). It is running windows 7. To save on hdd space I am using my desktop (also Win7) to serve my media from, shared through a Homegroup and windows media centre primarily.

Ideally I would like to be able to shut down my main pc remotely when I'm finished with it. Have been trying to use the command line;

shutdown m \\mydesktop r f

but I get an error "access denied(5)"

The two PC's have the same user name as admin, and the same password.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Cheers,

GorCh

The reason you are getting access denied is that the 2 units are not on a domain, therefore laptop\admin is a different account to desktop\admin.

As there is no option for username on the command, i dont think you can do this in your case.....why not just use VNC or RDP session

nedkelly
22-03-2010, 02:22 PM
There is a way to do it with xp not sure if it will work with 7.
I will try to find link and stick it up.
It has something to do with a guest not having enough permission to make a computer shutdown over the network.
Edit: Found it http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/855970.html very bottom post. It works perfect with xp home over a network. You might be able to get it to work with 7 but I am not sure.

GorCh
22-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi there, thanks for all the replies.

Wainuitech:- The laptop has 7Ultimate, the desktop 7Professional.

Can run gpedit.msc. What needs tweaking?

I do have teamviewer running on both, suppose I will do that in the meantime.

wainuitech
23-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Sorry for the delay -- Been out working.

OK ignore gpedit -- while it does work, you generally have to piss about or have a server -- been doing a bit of searching while eating lunch and found a FREE program that works a treat :banana you dont need servers ( as it creates a temp one) and you can shut down reboot what ever multi PC's.

Go to Easy Net Control (http://enc.idraconnectivesolutions.com/) there are two files to download.

Use the free server and client

The Server and client are only tiny - you install the server on the main Pc, and the client on the ones you want to shut down. One I have it setup on is called Enterprise (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Server.jpg)( client) The server window ( shown in Picture) is on the office PC.

Install the server -- Now change a few things -- On the server - click settings ( top left) change the password to something else and save.

On the Client PC ( one (s) you want to shutdown) install the client software. Then back on the server software Tools/ Create configuration / Scroll through your network, locate a shared folder on the Client PC - Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Tools1269305635.jpg) -- Now go to the client PC, in there is a file called "run On Client" - this contains the matching settings/password for the client, run it. Reboot the client -- Once rebooted the client(s) will show in the server window.

To shut down the client PC, right click it, select shutdown or any of the other options As shown (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Shutdown_1.jpg) It gives a 1 minute warning on the client which can be canceled by the password -- Then good night Nurse :sleep

Edit: make sure any firewalls allow the programs through.

Sherman
23-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Another way of doing it is to use remote desktop.

Log into the desktop PC from the netbook using remote desktop client. Press Ctrl+Alt+End and click the red shutdown button in the bottom lower right of the screen.

inphinity
23-03-2010, 03:25 PM
psTools

Battleneter2
23-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Alternatively RPD to the Win 7 machine with a admin account and from a command shell run "Shutdown /s", not elegant but it will works :p

wainuitech
23-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Tried both those from post 11 & 12, didn't work unless they were connected VIA a server.

inphinity
23-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Tried both those from post 11 & 12, didn't work unless they were connected VIA a server.

pstools absolutely works either inside or outside a domain environment.

GorCh
23-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your efforts wainuitech. Will try that now.

inphinity:- i attempted to use psShutdown, after reading some guides. However when I tried to execute the command, it just came up with the entire help documentation with no apparent effect on my main pc. Does it need to be present in both?

fred_fish
23-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Nope.
Just do
psshutdown.exe \\targetpc
add the username & password (as per the help) if required

wainuitech
23-03-2010, 05:01 PM
i attempted to use psShutdown, after reading some guides. However when I tried to execute the command, it just came up with the entire help documentation with no apparent effect on my main pc Thats what happened to me as well. I have used psshutdown in the past and it worked, but not this time.

Just setup one of my backup server, (Old windows XP home actually) and that program worked well, does take a minute or two for the two programs to connect. Two Connected (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Two1269316776.jpg) Think I'll be putting this on a couple of other PC's as well, easy to shut down then when the boy is pissing about at night and wont listen ;) Even seriously thinking about buying it to get the full functions , just checked its about $10 NZ give or take a few cents.

GorCh
23-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Hmm. Having trouble with this now. When i run the 'RunOnClient.enc' file on the client computer, I get a 'ENC Client Conf loader has stopped working' error.

The client is 64 bit if it is likely to matter?

GorCh
23-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Ok, so installing it on 64bit defaults it to the 'Program Files (x86)' folder. There is no way to change this in the installer.

Then it looks for the config file in the 'Program Files' folder, where it obviously isn't. This also means the default password etc don't work properly.

What I did was turn off the software on the client PC, then manually edit the settings.txt file to reflect the server ip, port, server password and local password (local password lets you alter settings).

Then I copied the folder to the 'Program Files' folder, and re ran the client software form this location. It connected :)

wainuitech
23-03-2010, 05:35 PM
May not work on 64 Bit, lots of software still doesn't.

Personally I dont run anything on 64 - STILL to many problems with drivers /Software.

You can always write to their support and ask :confused:

Edited: SWEET:thanks

Edited 2: I retried psshutdown -- worked fine on a PC that has XP Pro - but turned its nose up at W7. :yuck:

GorCh
23-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Works like a charm! Thanks for all the help. One thing if anyone comes across this thread later: I'd advise using a separate/generic password for the software as it is kept in a plain text document in the install folder.

-GorCh

SolMiester
24-03-2010, 08:39 AM
You know, for all the fluffing around, I dont know why you didnt just use MS RDP connection and have total control of the other unit?....

alopes
24-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I use teamviewer to do this from my Win7 to my media backup PC (it's out in the garage) running XP home since it can't do remote desktop

I agree used Teamviewer will sort out your issue. I have been using it for aprox the last 3yrs.

alopes
24-03-2010, 01:08 PM

I agree use Teamviewer it will sort out your issue. I have been using it for aprox the last 3yrs.