PDA

View Full Version : Need Network Help

SurferJoe46
22-03-2010, 03:47 AM
Don't worry - it's not a Ubuntu question.

I want to have another computer on my LAN, and I have an extra NETGEAR Range MAX WNR1000.

Right now I have my IP feeding into a NETGEAR of the same model. I turned off the "N", because I found it hogged all the bandwidth and would not allow a hard-wired machine to share and it was actually locked out as long as a wireless was on and running. That part is solved.

Now I wonder if I can use the spare Wireless Router as the wireless port for another computer, about 90 feet away.

The trouble is that both units are behind some metal-clad walls and a regular USB-type wireless may not work well. I have one of those too - a NETGEAR Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2.

I'm assuming that since my EEEpc could not get a good signal from the wireless when it was there yesterday, I'll need something a little stronger and I just want to use one of these routers for it.

Here's a pix of what I have and want to do (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1UD-RVapYyTxVjrbNBexrA?authkey=Gv1sRgCLHprInl4ZP6hAE&feat=directlink). Networking is not one of my larger strengths.

So - can a wireless router talk to another wireless router?

PS: The DELL is still running Ubuntu, and works well, but I only use it for surfing since it is pretty bullet-proof for trojans and stuff. It can run all the stuff my other puters can with a few exceptions.

SurferJoe46
22-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Hey! I only got about 30 seconds for an edit and got the message that I had exceeded the time limit, so I have to repost the whole thing here now:

Don't worry - it's not a Ubuntu question. I also included a link to a drawing to 'splain what I'm trying to do.

I want to have another computer on my LAN, and I have an extra NETGEAR Range MAX WNR1000.

Right now I have my IP feeding into a NETGEAR as both a router for CAT5-e hardwire and wireless of the same exact model. I turned off the "N", because I found it hogged all the bandwidth and would not allow a hard-wired machine to share and it was actually locked out as long as a wireless was on and running. That part is solved.

Now I wonder if I can use the spare Wireless Router as the wireless port for another computer, about 90 feet away.

I know there'll be some signal sharing and attrition, but I have 3K Up/Down both ways, so it won't be too bad.

The trouble is that both units are behind some metal-clad walls and a regular USB-type wireless may not work well. I have one of those too - a NETGEAR Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2.

I'm assuming that since my Asus Eee/pc could not get a strong signal from the Netgear Wireless Router when it was there yesterday, I'll need something a little stronger and I just want to use one of these routers for it.

Here's a pix of what I have and want to do (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1UD-RVapYyTxVjrbNBexrA?authkey=Gv1sRgCLHprInl4ZP6hAE&feat=directlink). Networking is not one of my larger strengths.

So - how can set up a wireless router talk to another wireless router?

PS: The DELL is still running Ubuntu, and works well, but I only use it for surfing since it is pretty bullet-proof for trojans and stuff. It can run all the stuff my other puters can with a few exceptions.

nedkelly
22-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I think from memory that this might work, I used my wireless access point as a way to get my computer to access my network where there were no cables and before I bought my usb Wifi stick. The router that is going to connect to the other computer will have to be set up in I think bridge mode. But not really sure.

nedkelly
22-03-2010, 05:01 PM
just wondering what v do you have?

nedkelly
22-03-2010, 05:14 PM
ok looking at the manual I can not see the setting for it.

Agent_24
22-03-2010, 05:16 PM
If it was just a WiFi link between the two routers, you would set both up to use wireless in bridged mode

However, since you wish to have the Eee PC connected as well, you need to set it up differently.

You should be able to leave everything as is and configure the "neighbour" WNR1000 to be a WiFi client instead of AP - IF the firmware actually allows this. I do not know if that particular device can do that, I know my old Micronet WiFi AP (802.11b) can.

nedkelly
22-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Never mind.

As of July 2005, NETGEAR access points supporting WDS are WG302, WAG302, WG602v2, WG602v3 and ME103.

SurferJoe46
22-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Never mind.

So is that a Yea or a Nay?

nedkelly
22-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Im am not really sure sorry. It looks like it might be able to be the host of the WDS but it cannot actually join a WDS. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/960

ryanjames.powell
22-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I am fairly sure that you won't be able to configure this router in bridge mode, as most models can't do it.

BUT - The most common way to achieve this is to install third party unofficial firmware on the router you want to use as the receiving end. There is third party firmware available for many models of router which enables features not supported by the factory firmware. See if you can find some for your router by checking Google, or try dd-wrt.com

SurferJoe46
23-03-2010, 05:25 AM
OK - I got ONE of the WNR1000s (RangeMAX 159) to act as a switch. It took to it all by itself - I just made sure that I didn't feed my dish into the DSL port.

My ISP provided me a CAT5-e cable from my dish and it is now in the #4 position, with two more puters installed in the CAT5-e slots # 1 & 2. My wireless Asus Eee-pc is happy and doesn't hog up all the pipe now with the "N" disallowed.

Just one more question :::

Is it to any value to align the NETGEAR units in a special attitude?

Do they radiate in a plane or pattern that can be tuned or maximize for my benefit?

Is there a good-v-bad radiation pattern? Their shape may be a hint that they are a loop-coiled antenna.