PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting xp with 7 ( 7 installed first)

dagangsta
21-03-2010, 06:12 PM
I am trying to install xp onto my windows 7 laptop. I want a dualboot system. I cant boot the laptop from the cd. I insert the cd and says press any key to boot from disk. I push a key and then the screen goes blank. Nothing happens after that. I have used the cd on a virtual machine and another pc and it works.
I also tried starting setup from inside windows 7 but it blocks the option to install windows xp.
I can run ubuntu from booting from cd but not xp.
Original XP Cd.

Chilling_Silence
21-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Hi dagangsta,

Here's how you probably need to do it:
1) Partition off some freespace for XP
2) Pop the CD in, install WinXP
3) It'll overwrite the Win7 MBR, so you'll need to pop that in and repair it.. I know how to do that in WinXP using the Repair Console (fixboot /mbr), but unsure about Win7 :-/

Hopefully that'll point you in the right direction though. Basically the WinXP Bootloader doesn't know about and doesn't want to know about Win7.

Cheers

Chill.

dagangsta
21-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I have already made a partition but my pc wont boot from the disk. It just freezes.

Bryan
21-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Have a look at this

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

ryanjames.powell
21-03-2010, 09:15 PM
It'll overwrite the Win7 MBR, so you'll need to pop that in and repair it.. I know how to do that in WinXP using the Repair Console (fixboot /mbr), but unsure about Win7 :-/

It's really easy. You just boot from the Win7 CD and then there is a repair link in the bottom corner of the screen where you start the install. You click that and one of the options is startup repair. It detects the problem, and recreates the MBR, all automatically, then asks you to reboot.

I am, however, stumped as to why the XP install disc won't boot. I have done this before myself and it worked just fine. To be honest it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with 7 being installed at all.

wainuitech
21-03-2010, 09:29 PM
You click that and one of the options is startup repair. It detects the problem, and recreates the MBR, all automatically, then asks you to reboot. That doesn't always work, I tried it 5 times and still wouldn't repair it - I was playing about with that exact type of install last week, and it still wouldn't dual boot.

Finally fixed it by installing EasyBCD into Windows 7 once the repair as per the link in Bryan 's post, then once it booted into W7, XP was not visible,--- Read my posting number 5 (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=108131)