PDA

View Full Version : Win7: Wireless networks unavailable, yet card detected & working?

Chilling_Silence
21-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi all,

So I upgraded my brothers & his Mrs laptop to Win7. It's a semi-old Asus laptop, but they've got 1.5GB RAM in it so it goes OK.

Long story short: Their son who's 6 months old was sitting on his fathers lap while he was on TradeMe, and he made a reach for the keyboard. A few bashes later from the 6-month old boy and WiFi networking no longer works.

Here's what I've got so far:
- Wired networking is OK and they've been hooking directly into the router for now
- There's nowhere in the BIOS to enable or disable the wireless
- The Fn + F2 Key to turn WiFi on and off only seems to affect the light on the front of the laptop but not actually enable or disable it
- System Rollback didn't fix anything
- Driver update didn't work
- The whole time it's showed up in Device manager as working correctly
- Nothing shows up in "available wireless networks", it just complains there's none around
- I plug in an external TP-Link card which I know works (I've been using it on another Win7 desktop -- Default windows drivers work fine) and it also suffers the same fate as the inbuilt WiFi card
- Repairing the network card doesn't fix the issue
- Removing it and rebooting then rescanning for the hardware doesn't change anything
- I ran "sfc /scannow" and that didn't fix it
- Tried with multiple different access points, both at their house and mine, nothing works

Thing is I only just upgraded them like 2 weeks ago, I'd rather not reinstall everything all over again :p

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated

Cheers

Chill.

Renmoo
21-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Uninstall the 6-month old kid.

His aura is affecting the computer performance.

plod
21-03-2010, 03:07 PM
The kid didn't knock a switch to toggle wifi on and off? Simple but it does happen

Chilling_Silence
21-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah there's no physical switch with the exception of the Fn + F2 keys, but they don't appear to do squat, turning it on / off (Little blue LED on the front) doesn't affect it in any way :-/

jinja_thom
21-03-2010, 05:26 PM
If it's anything like the 5 or 6 year old Asus I have, the wifi card is situated just under the keyboard around the position of the 0 to backspace and L to Enter keys. I'd be checking the antenna connections to the card if it was me.
HTH

Chilling_Silence
21-03-2010, 06:34 PM
That's a good point, but I'm wondering why it would also affect the external USB card, so I'm presuming it's something software-related ...

Blam
17-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Does it happen in Safe Mode(with networking)?

Chilling_Silence
17-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Wow this is old, but yes it did ...

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 07:28 PM
will be a software issue. download the wpa2-psk update as that should help. it got my pc and laptop to pick up my wpa2-psk wireless network

Blam
17-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow this is old, but yes it did ...

Try checking if any of the wireless services are disabled..

Have you reinstalled already, or still trying to fix it?

will be a software issue. download the wpa2-psk update as that should help. it got my pc and laptop to pick up my wpa2-psk wireless network

Well if it works in safe mode thats unlikely

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 10:59 PM
if it works in safe mode but not normal mode then its a software or driver issue

GameJunkie
17-06-2010, 11:01 PM
if it works in safe mode but not normal mode then its a software or driver issue

but it doesnt work in normal or safe mode, only when its plugged into the router directly.

if you read the first post..

goodiesguy
17-06-2010, 11:05 PM
ah, sorry. i though he said it worked in safe mode

Blam
18-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Actually - my bad, I think you're right...

If so, then a very weird issue indeed.

goodiesguy
18-06-2010, 12:30 AM
let's hope we can find a fix

SolMiester
18-06-2010, 09:37 AM
TCP/IP stack on the wireless adapter not binding.....winsock fix?!.....try newer drivers?

Chilling_Silence
18-06-2010, 10:27 AM
We reinstalled Win7 and everything's OK, so not too concerned :) This thread is *old* ...

Trev
18-06-2010, 12:26 PM
God, people want to check dates when original post was made.
:)