PDA

View Full Version : Best Operating System (all versions allowed)

goodiesguy
21-03-2010, 12:51 PM
which is your favorite operating system and why, what do you think its good for?:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
21-03-2010, 01:19 PM
They all look the same to me. They just use different interfaces / screens. I usually use 64 bit, since I use 8 GB.

Tried linux (ubuntu 9.10 - but it was buggy as), and it didnt stay on the hdd long enough. Was quite happy using the Amiga I had, till the battery leaked. And that was the end of that.

Using Vista at the mo. Was using Windows 7, but its still a bit buggy, recorded video was out of sync with the tuner I use (with some channels), when I was using media center, and the program that came with the tuner.

The icons kept disappearing (I had to delete iconcache.db all the time) to fix it after killing explorer.exe then restarting it. Nearly everytime, I installed something (this is probably a bug). And there's a bug (if you use a color background in Windows 7). It takes twice as long to get into windows 7

I've used 98, XP, XP x64 before. But dont now. Since none of these can use up to 8 GB (besides XP x64), but you'll be lucky to find drivers for XP x64 now

pctek
21-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Favourite?
I'd say DOS. It sat there and did nothing until you fed it a command.
It was small and compact and neat.

Unfortunately things move on, it's of no use to me now with games I like.
Neither is anything other than the latest 2 or 3 Windows versions.

Erayd
21-03-2010, 01:28 PM
which is your favorite operating system and why, what do you think its good for?:thanks
This is incredibly subjective - they all have very different strengths. What are you trying to figure out - are you trying to determine which one is best for you to use on your own system?

In most cases, my favorite OS would have to be Gentoo Linux.

Agent_24
21-03-2010, 01:44 PM
I could say a lot of things but ultimately for my favorite I have to pick Windows XP.

Because it does everything I need, it's compatible with the majority of old programs + new

Because it's been around a long time, most of the issues have been straightened out

It's got much lighter system requirements than Vista or Windows 7 and it just plain works.

DOS 6.22 and Windows For Workgroups 3.11 are a close runner-up, however :D

pcuser42
21-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Best operating system that I've used as my day-to-day OS - Windows Vista.
Best operating system ever - Windows 7.

Digby
21-03-2010, 03:25 PM
CPM86 - From a technical point of view.
Bill Gates should have gone with that for his OS.
I have just bought Windows 7 so I hope it will be the best (all round OS for the average business and home user) Gamers may be different.

davidmmac
21-03-2010, 03:35 PM
I could say a lot of things but ultimately for my favorite I have to pick Windows XP.

Because it does everything I need, it's compatible with the majority of old programs + new

Because it's been around a long time, most of the issues have been straightened out

It's got much lighter system requirements than Vista or Windows 7 and it just plain works.

+1 :)

waldok
21-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Amiga OS 1.3 was fantastic for its time, and telling my DOS and Mac OS friends about it was the first time I found out about the OS religious wars. Boy were they wrong to think their OS was best. ;)

Windows 7 is my favourite now and both PCs in the house run it. My favourite thing is probably how Homegroup works magic between two Windows 7 PCs and a Home Server.

cheers
W

gary67
21-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Win 7 is pretty, Win XP just works great, Linux mint is nice and easy to use, Puppy is light on resources. Take your pick I use whichever suits at the time as have most installed at various times sometimes in VM's only

mikebartnz
21-03-2010, 08:55 PM
PCLinuxOS

pcuser42
21-03-2010, 08:57 PM
*never mind*

nedkelly
21-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Mac OS X Leopard

Brooko
22-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Mepis Linux or Debian

maccrazy
22-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Fast, stable, easy to use and a nice user interface.

Safari
22-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - very reliable and a joy to use.

Ice Road Trucker
22-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I prefer Windows XP because it hasn't given me a problem in all the time I have been using it.

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I've used a lot in the last month:
Ubuntu
Linux Mint
Debian
ChromiumOS (Flow)
WinXP
Win7
OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

All on machines of my own (Though I've borrowed the Macbook)

End of the day, I don't really care too much about the OS, it's becoming less and less important. I find that on XP, Win7 or OSX I can play Warcraft III which is the only game I use. Other than that I do almost everything from the browser, so the OS is pretty irrelevant these days ...

Rod J
22-03-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm using Ubuntu Linux 9.04 exclusively now. But I can still boot into XP if need be (rarely now). I liked Windows 7 RC when I tried it (very pretty OS and surprisingly fast). But I can make Ubuntu look just as pretty using compiz/emerald themes, etc. Ubuntu is very fast, virtually virus/malware immune and uses much less resources than Win7.

pkm
22-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm using Ubuntu Linux 9.04 exclusively now. But I can still boot into XP if need be (rarely now). I liked Windows 7 RC when I tried it (very pretty OS and surprisingly fast). But I can make Ubuntu look just as pretty using compiz/emerald themes, etc. Ubuntu is very fast, virtually virus/malware immune and uses much less resources than Win7.

I use ubuntu when browsing, and windows exclusively for games on occasion. BF:BC2, BF2 etc.

Deimos
22-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I love Windows 7, I use OSX at work and I find it to be way less intuitive.

If people were usign modern PCs they wouldn't have to worry about the system requirements of Windows 7 (as apposed to Windows XP) sure windows XP runs great on a Pentium 3 but come on people, get with the times!

Battleneter2
22-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Bit of a loaded question

Windows 7 for a desktop OS all the way. Far superior to Vista or even XP (sniff). Being a gamer Linux has never done it for me on my personnel Desktop, certainly no reason now to duel boot it any more with Win7.

Web servers etc, Linux all the way.

Chilling_Silence
22-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah +1 for those thoughts, I've found some things in OS X highly illogical, and very poorly thought out, like it's different from Windows just for the sake of being different, whereas other things are much better thought out and intuitive entirely.

Sue
22-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, stable, fast and fun to use.

nedkelly
22-03-2010, 04:32 PM
I find using OS X easier than xp, as does my brother and grandparents.

prefect
22-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Windows 98SE

Speedy Gonzales
22-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Installing 2k on the older PC here now. Only thing you have to watch, is you'll have to find / install IE 6 SP1, if you want to get to the WU site. Otherwise, you wont be able to update it (unless the WU globe thing appears sometime, with the updates).

But man, you notice the diff when installing it (about 2 GB), compared to later versions of windows. It'll probably take up 3.5 - 4 GB of hdd space, once its updated

pcuser42
22-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Windows 98SE

:eek:

goodiesguy
22-03-2010, 05:27 PM
the two operating systems i use are

Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (service pack 2 soon! don't worry people)

OS X 10.4 (Tiger) on my old powermac g4 that's 10yrs old and has 768mb ram and runs like a dream

windows 7 is ok but i just can't move away from vista, vista does everything i need it to do, that's why u upgraded from xp pro and home, as i've had enough of xp its boring and it doesnt do what i need it to do anymore. and a word of advice. dont use vista of 7 transfomation packs for xp, your pc will be slower than an ibm pc xt from 1981

robsonde
22-03-2010, 05:33 PM
first off I think it would be good to have a rule against threads like this one, it's just flame bait...

this is like asking what car is best, it begs the question; best for what?

but if we are going down this road:

as a desktop OS, I like XP or win7
as a server OS I like either openBSD or solaris.
as a simple UI for older people I like MacOS.

this comes from the fact that I run XP at home on the desktop, i like the look/feel of win7.
I run a openBSD server at home for my domain/email.
I drive solaris boxes (about 400 of them) for a job.

as with many things in life, everyone has their own thoughts and as long as you are happy with what ever you have then thats good.
if you want a change then feel free to try a few things.

pity that tiger woods took this advise :-)

goodiesguy
24-03-2010, 08:40 AM
thanks for this, i love to see what operating systems suit people

Nomad
24-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't really mind. My only criteria is it is NT based, so I am happy with 2000 or XP or whatever, haven't really tried Vista or 7 but they probably be ok too.

The reason I am still on XP is b/c it works and it saves me the hassle of setting it up. If my computer was set up with Vista or 7 at the beginning I prob just keep that.

I have a lappie running on Windows 2000.
Before I didn't like the XP style, but got used to it. Prob the same thing happens with the newer OS.

I don't like Linux b/c it has a steeper learning curve.
32 bit fine for me now, 4GB is plenty. Saves my time, hassle and money. If I was supplied with more RAM and a 64bit then I equally as happy.

That's about it.

PS: If it was my most memorable OS maybe Windows 2000. I just installed XP at the time of my PC purchase b/c it was current back then. Also some of the image s/w I used required XP. If Windows was still current, I would of used that until today and have no need of switching ...

goodiesguy
25-03-2010, 08:33 PM
thank you for your contribution "Nomad"

johnd
25-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Tried linux (ubuntu 9.10 - but it was buggy as)...

Depends on the hardware I strongly suspect. I have been using various distros of Linux since 1998 and am currently using Ubuntu 9.10. On my system is it nearly 100% rock solid.

goodiesguy
29-03-2010, 08:28 AM
thanks for the contribution "johnd"

goodiesguy
31-03-2010, 10:54 AM
thank you for all your contributions. let's hope this thread sticks, also you can show us your system specs and what hardware you reccomend

robbyp
31-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Vista Ultimate so far. Got windows 7 , but having annoying problems with it, simialr to Speedy.

robbyp
31-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Depends on the hardware I strongly suspect. I have been using various distros of Linux since 1998 and am currently using Ubuntu 9.10. On my system is it nearly 100% rock solid.

I find it is ok, but sometime will lockup for no reason. Also is more demanding on the battery than XP is.

Ollie
31-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Fav OS for desktop: Windows 7 cause of the cool interface. V fast. DX11. And i get no viruses now. Only sht reason is drivers arnt fully supporterd

For laptop: XP cause the battery lasts longer and thgings seems to be snappier than W7

kjaada
01-04-2010, 11:52 AM
XP for the very few things that require a bit of knowhow in linux and
Puppy linux for speed and safety.I use Puppy 98% 0f the time but now and again XP as I am a bit thick (and 71 years old) but I could survive on Puppy.

Rod J
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
XP for the very few things that require a bit of knowhow in linux and
Puppy linux for speed and safety.I use Puppy 98% 0f the time but now and again XP as I am a bit thick (and 71 years old) but I could survive on Puppy.

+1 for Puppy Linux. It's just amazing! Totally runs in ram (128Mb+) and has so much built into it despite it's tiny size. I have Puppy Linux as a rescue CD and also on an old 128Mb USB flash drive, although I still use Ubuntu 9.04 as my main OS.