PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Swapping MB procedure

pctek
20-03-2010, 05:27 PM
What works short of a complete reinstall?

Should I remove all MB drivers first, or try a Startup Repair after swapping the board?

Anyone had to do this yet?

wainuitech
20-03-2010, 05:58 PM
The One I did was very simple (One workshop PC) changed board, booted - it located and found some drivers, other I installed from gigabyte. ( both boards were gigabytes, different models) One was socket 478 - new 775.

PENTIUM
20-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Sometimes just installing the MOBO is O K, Windows 7 finds what it needs.

pctek
20-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes I'm inclined to think it will just update drivers. However it doesn't and throws a hissy then I'm stuffed, right?

jwil1
20-03-2010, 07:11 PM
As long as it has the NIC drivers and Internet access you should be OK - Win7 will just download the required drivers.

nmercer
20-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes I'm inclined to think it will just update drivers. However it doesn't and throws a hissy then I'm stuffed, right?

what happens?

define "throws a hissy"

Speedy Gonzales
20-03-2010, 08:20 PM
throws a hissy - crash boom bang

wainuitech
20-03-2010, 09:22 PM
No idea if This program (http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/02/18/total-services-and-driver-control-for-windows/) works or not, but if the PC is bootable, may pay to rip out the drivers that are likely to cause problems beforehand.

pctek
21-03-2010, 07:31 AM
what happens?

define "throws a hissy"

I don't know not having tried it.
But it may BSOD over drivers.

And there are 2 repair options (that I also haven't tried), Repair Install from within Windows (totally useless if it does BSOD), and Startup Repair which from what I have read may or may not help.

Why couldn't they just leave it how it was, good old XP Repair Installs..........

Yes, I thought maybe remove drivers first Wainui, I was going to do it manually, I'll see if that utility works......

wainuitech
21-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Why couldn't they just leave it how it was, good old XP Repair Installs.......... HERE HERE -- Would save a lot of problems. Theres been a couple of times with customers PC's that should have fixed them, but noooooooo reinstall:groan:

pctek
21-03-2010, 09:02 AM
That utility doesn't work.
Driver Magician does though.

Agent_24
21-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Last time I successfully swapped boards like this I just uninstalled all drivers and related software, then shut the machine down

Put the HDD into the new machine and booted up

Let it install everything it could itself, then install the rest of the drivers manually

This was going from an nForce 4 to a 790GX, with XP Home.

No guarantees it will work for you though

SolMiester
21-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I have changed heaps of mobo without re-install of the system, the secret is to generalise every hardware device without rebooting..

HDD controllers, chipset, NIC, video etc.....

Might as well uninstall any software drivers after changing the devices also!

Agent_24
21-03-2010, 12:48 PM
the secret is to generalise every hardware device without rebooting..

I assume by that you mean replacing the drivers with the basic ones that come with Windows?

SolMiester
22-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I assume by that you mean replacing the drivers with the basic ones that come with Windows?

Yes, ie: generic SVGA adapter....not the windows driver for that hardware device....

Agent_24
22-03-2010, 01:06 PM
That's what I thought

mzee
30-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I had to move an xp system from one computer to another & had to keep the software intact as the installation CD's are missing.
I made an Image of the system with Acronis Echo, then did a 'Universal' Restore.
It was amazing! Acronis scanned the new computer, removed any drivers from the Image which could cause a crash & replaced them with Generic ones. Restored the system. All I had to do was install the Motherboard drivers. Works a treat.