PDA

View Full Version : Yeah - just reciebed my copy of Windows 7

Digby
20-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi Guys

Just recieved my Windows 7 Home Premium OEM on the courier (from Elive)

I can't wait to install it later today on a new machine I just built.

Uptil now I have had XP on my desktops and Vista on a Laptop.

Neil McC
20-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Just done that Digby.Got a Win7 Pro upgrade on Trade me.Wouldn't activate on the first go 'cause of being a new hard drive.Got sick of being passed around at Microsoft so did an upgrade and then it worked.
Looks great, so have fun with it!

pctek
20-03-2010, 09:30 AM
You'll like it. While it looks like Vista, it sure isn't. In fact there are some parts totally different, not just performance.

johcar
20-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi Guys

Just recieved my Windows 7 Home Premium OEM on the courier (from Elive)

I can't wait to install it later today on a new machine I just built.

Uptil now I have had XP on my desktops and Vista on a Laptop.

The great thing is, you won't have to set aside a lot of time to do the install - it's QUICK!

Twelvevolts
21-03-2010, 12:42 AM
You'll like it. While it looks like Vista, it sure isn't. In fact there are some parts totally different, not just performance.

It's Vista with a few refinements. I used a computer with XP on it today (not XP mode in 7 which I haven't used other than to install it) and had forgotten how things had changed with Vista.

Not sure why people hung on to XP but will be in for a treat if you go from XP to 7, once you get used to it that is.

By the way, buy Ultimate, you can get it for $179 if you know someone with a student ID (and Pro is only $129).

Digby
21-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Yes, I just thought it was time to move ahead.
XP is very old now.
I like the way you can see where you are in Vista (with the Bread trail feature)
And I am looking forward to being able to put two windows side by side and copy files from one to the other. (like you used to be able to do in 3.11)

I think we all realise that Windows 7 is just Vista with some things taken out and others added. But it seems that most people do not like Vista whereas they do like 7.

And it needs less hardware, so it should be faster on good hardware !

R2x1
21-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Win 7 seems pretty good if you have tried Vista (so does dysentery) but it is not so neat compared to XP. It will break a few programs, and will constantly strive to reset itself to "The M$ Way" should you use the update service, or install M$ programs.
The snipping tool is very neat, and the MSE anti-virus is surprisingly good, I know it is not an integral part of W7, but it fits and works so well that I find it hard to believe that MSE is a Microsoft offering. XP mode in Win7 solves some, but not all, of the W7 incompatibilities with older programs that have no satisfactory replacement.
I am seriously considering buying another copy of XP for the main PC, since it is more capable of doing what I want, the way I want it than W7 has proved.
I still use it on one of the older less-spec'd machines here and find it more relaxing to use. I tried the W7 beta and it was buggy, then the RC fixed heaps of issues and was quite pleasant to use. The pay-heaps version was alright, but not as user friendly as the RC. (When MS talk of 'update', they may have a slightly more sinister interpretation of the word than the user envisioned.) I very foolishly let it auto-update, (pctek will snort at that) and it has been breaking itself of the user-friendly attributes since, almost an attempt to Vista itself. The updates are off now, but short of a re-install the horse has left the stables. A Win 7 re-install is not a matter to be undertaken lightly if: (a.) You are not getting paid for it. (b.) Boredom requires some desperate moves to fill in a day or two.

Perhaps if I wasn't using Linux as a yardstick, W7 may look better?

I don't think I will be abandoning my favourite OS just to make W7 look better though. ;)

prefect
21-03-2010, 09:15 AM
I have W7 on laptop it works fine I like it but I wouldnt rave about it. I wont change my 2 home xp pcs to vista after hearing about the upgrade issues.
At work spent fortune getting network running sweet sure aint going to tempt fate by changing the os to W7.

pctek
21-03-2010, 09:58 AM
It will constantly strive to reset itself to "The M$ Way" should you use the update service, or install M$ programs.

All of them do that. Simple solution, control updates yourself.

It is NOT Vista.
I guess most people only see the surface of it so because it mostly looks like Vista they think it is a tweaked Vista.

It isn't. There are some quite large differences - behind the scenes so to speak.

Trev
21-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Win 7 seems pretty good if you have tried Vista (so does dysentery) but it is not so neat compared to XP. It will break a few programs, and will constantly strive to reset itself to "The M$ Way" should you use the update service, or install M$ programs.
The snipping tool is very neat, and the MSE anti-virus is surprisingly good, I know it is not an integral part of W7, but it fits and works so well that I find it hard to believe that MSE is a Microsoft offering. XP mode in Win7 solves some, but not all, of the W7 incompatibilities with older programs that have no satisfactory replacement.
I am seriously considering buying another copy of XP for the main PC, since it is more capable of doing what I want, the way I want it than W7 has proved.
I still use it on one of the older less-spec'd machines here and find it more relaxing to use. I tried the W7 beta and it was buggy, then the RC fixed heaps of issues and was quite pleasant to use. The pay-heaps version was alright, but not as user friendly as the RC. (When MS talk of 'update', they may have a slightly more sinister interpretation of the word than the user envisioned.) I very foolishly let it auto-update, (pctek will snort at that) and it has been breaking itself of the user-friendly attributes since, almost an attempt to Vista itself. The updates are off now, but short of a re-install the horse has left the stables. A Win 7 re-install is not a matter to be undertaken lightly if: (a.) You are not getting paid for it. (b.) Boredom requires some desperate moves to fill in a day or two.

Perhaps if I wasn't using Linux as a yardstick, W7 may look better?

I don't think I will be abandoning my favourite OS just to make W7 look better though. ;)
You have the Tall Poppy Syndrome R2x1 using M$ instead of MS.
:)

Agent_24
21-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Vista and Windows 7 look nice but I don't like either of them.

If you just want something pretty to look at, while not having to use your brain it's great.

However they break compatibility with far too many things for me to switch from XP.

And there are some things that just really get to me, for example the search feature:

They expect you to have no clue what you're doing and to type something and press enter

However if you want to do an advanced search, you must actually search for something first so that the toolbar changes into the search mode. Then you must click "search tools -> search pane"

Then click "Advanced Search" to get the options you want.

In XP it would be simple as specifying you always want to use advanced search one time only, and then from then on it's a simple matter of just pressing the search button.

They claim it's easier to use than XP, but when you want to do something advanced (which is what I do all the time) it actually takes LONGER and is more annoying.

R2x1
21-03-2010, 03:17 PM
You have the Tall Poppy Syndrome R2x1 using M$ instead of MS.
Very possibly. :thumbs:
Given that a high percentage of the world's poppy crop is going to cause brief joy then extreme long-term misery without upsetting the producers, you may just want to re-select ;)

I can still see much more Emperor than clothes, and winter is a-coming :horrified

BTW; M$ is the polite version :banana

robbyp
21-03-2010, 10:00 PM
People didn't like the original Vista because it had lots of compatibility problems. However the service packs and other updates have fixed most issues, and I use both 7 and vista and don't notice much difference between the two these days. The XP programs that don't work in vista, also don't work in 7.
Vista is a bit like telecoms XT network, the mud sticks. That is why telecom are going to need to rebrand XT when they have it fully fixed.

wainuitech
21-03-2010, 10:14 PM
They claim it's easier to use than XP, but when you want to do something advanced (which is what I do all the time) it actually takes LONGER and is more annoying. I actually find the reverse, W7 is better than Xp.

I have to work with both in my job, and I can tell you , that after using W7, XP seems so damn backward and slow its not even funny.

Guess it comes down to actually knowing how to use the OS's features eh!;)

Classic example, it was mentioned searching: IF I was using XP to locate a certain file on one of my 3 servers, and I couldn't remember exactly where it was, Xp's search would take 5-15 minutes to search the complete LAN. W7 would find it within a minute two at the most. I had that today, I was looking for a document I wrote 3 years ago, W7 Found it within 20 seconds on one of the servers, as well as backup copies on another.

As Pctek mentioned--
There are some quite large differences - behind the scenes so to speak

Trev
21-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I used the upgrade option going from XP to 7 so most of the programs I had on XP are on 7. On bootup XP use to take a minute or so to bootup and just as long or more to shut down. Windows 7 takes less than 30 seconds to do either.

robbyp
21-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I actually find the reverse, W7 is better than Xp.

I have to work with both in my job, and I can tell you , that after using W7, XP seems so damn backward and slow its not even funny.

Classic example, it was mentioned searching: IF I was using XP to locate a certain file on one of my 3 servers, and I couldn't remember exactly where it was, Xp's search would take 5-15 minutes to search the complete LAN. W7 would find it within a minute two at the most. I had that today, I was looking for a document I wrote 3 years ago, W7 Found it within 20 seconds on one of the servers, as well as backup copies on another.

As Pctek mentioned--

The speed of search is laregly because win 7/ vista indexes many of the folders, while XP doesn't. Not sure if the windows search addon for office 2007 on XP improves the search speed on not.

Agent_24
21-03-2010, 11:46 PM
XP seems so damn backward and slow its not even funny.

Oh I know how to use the features, it's just that the features aren't designed to be used.

Take my example with "advanced search" and "search hidden folders" again.

In XP, you can choose to always use advanced search and always search through hidden files, and these options are saved and are used every time you click search.

In Vista, you can't do this. You must re-specify these options every single damn time, and it's not easy to do it either.

You have two options:

1) Hit Winkey+F --> Open the "Advanced Search" panel --> Check the box "Include Non-indexed, hidden and system files"

2) Open Windows Explorer and search for something to bring up the search toolbar. Click "Search Tools" --> "Search Pane" - then open the "Advanced Search" panel on the search pane - Then check the box "Include Non-indexed, hidden and system files"

And you want to tell me that XP is backwards and slower?

Digby
22-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Agent 24
That is only one thing (Search) !
What about all the other things an OS does ?
I use my PC for small business and find I only need to use search about once a month !
Not only that W7 shows you which folder you are in and where you have been with its Hansel and Gretal bread crumbs trail.

Sherman
23-03-2010, 03:10 PM
One of the main things I really miss when I use an XP PC now is the lack of search in the start menu.
Hunting through a long "All Programs" list on XP is painful....