PDA

View Full Version : Macrium Reflect v Paragon Backup Recovery 10 Compact

smurf
18-03-2010, 08:03 PM
In your opinion...which is the better product and why?

wainuitech
18-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Paragon Backup Recovery 10.

Free Version here from paragon (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/) today - Made a backup image, then loaded it back onto another completely different PC using the Backup CD - worked perfectly. Windows XP -- Not bad, complete install in less than 10 minutes ( enough time to make a cuppa and come back out - done)

Actually made the back up from the CD as well to an external Drive, wasn't installed on the OS.

Edited: tried Macrium Reflect a few weeks back -- didn't like it.

smurf
18-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Good...thanks for that. I have tried both and like the look of Paragon which is available on Giveaway of the day:) Thanks for your reply.

wainuitech
18-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Personally I use the paragon software in day to work, always Seems to work well.

Partition Manager and Disk Cloning.

Sweep
18-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I just downloaded and installed same. It has good features.
I have been using Seagate Disk Wizard which is also free up until now.

Neil McC
18-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Just downloaded and updated to the latest Macrium free.It just sat there !!Previous worked well.

wainuitech
18-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I just downloaded and installed same. It has good features.
I have been using Seagate Disk Wizard which is also free up until now. Yep :thumbs: Seagates disk Wizard is good as well.

I wanted to try Paragon Backup Recovery to make a recovery CD / Image for a Customer, that way it can go on DVD -- got a feeling its gonna be needed ;)

Made the Image from the bootable CD, quite surprised how "painless" it was, restoring was even easier - used the wizards and no problems.

Sweep
18-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Yep :thumbs: Seagates disk Wizard is good as well.

I wanted to try Paragon Backup Recovery to make a recovery CD / Image for a Customer, that way it can go on DVD -- got a feeling its gonna be needed ;)

It's in my list of tools now.

wainuitech
18-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I was looking at the Paragon System Recovery (http://psr.paragon-software.com/screenshots.htm) - that way install the DVD, one click and its done ---- no pricing on the site - went looking, found a couple of references -- :waughh::eek: "Faints"

Neil McC
19-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks wainuitech. Needed a new Acronis for Win7.Looks like this free version will do.

linw
19-03-2010, 05:00 PM
The free Paragon looks pretty good for the price but I can't see any way of saving tasks for later manual one click execution. Macrium does this and will even save a shortcut for the task.

This facility is quite important for handing over to the unwashed.

wainuitech
19-03-2010, 05:13 PM
manual one click execution. Macrium does this and will even save a shortcut for the task. Wheres that option please. ( only had a play with macrium) So I dont know.

The one I was looking at From Paragon is their system Recovery here (http://images.paragon-software.com/screenshots/psr/1.jpg) - take a blank HDD, drop in the Imaged backup on CD/DVD, click OK and it reinstalls the original Image.

At the Moment the Backup & Recovery as listed in these threads, you have a imaged Backup on an external drive ( or DVD), boot from the backup CD, aim it at the backup image and recover the complete Image. Simple enough , but just one more step -- Lazy eh! :p

linw
19-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I was not thinking of the restore procedure, but, rather, the saving of task scripts for backups.

Under 'Scheduled Backups', there is a lower section for scripts (.psl files) but I can't see how to create them.

Maybe only the paid for version?

B.M.
20-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks Wainui for the tip off on free Paragon. :thumbs:

For ages Iíve been wanting to replace my 20gig drive in my old laptop with a spare 40gig I have, so yesterday I thought Iíd bite the bullet.

Downloaded Paragon, hooked 20gig HDD to Desktop by one of those USB cables and cloned to Desktop. Swapped HDDís and recovered to the 40gig drive.

No problems except it did such a good job I still only had 20gigís. :eek: The other 20 gig was there but not available.

So back to the Paragon website and there was Paragon Partition Manager which was also free :D so I downloaded that and stretched the primary partition out to full size and everything seems to be working fine. Even the Desktop Icons are in the same place. :)

Must say Iím quite impressed with the ease of using these Paragon products because I ainít no Geek and seeing I would only use them once in a blue moon the price is right.

Donít know if they are those Free/Evaluation versions that expire or not but they did a good job and I was suitably impressed.

smurf
20-03-2010, 09:51 AM
BM...can't say anything about the Paragon Partition Manager but if you downloaded Paragon Backup Recovery 10 Compact from www.giveawayoftheday.com it doesn't expire but you won't be able to update it. That doesn't appear to be a problem though as the price was right :)

wainuitech
20-03-2010, 10:28 AM
just remember the Givawayoftheday site is for that ONE day only, if its not downloaded within the 24 hour period its no longer available as a free offer.

The Paragon Backup Recovery 10 is free from paragons site.

B.M.
20-03-2010, 10:34 AM
BM...can't say anything about the Paragon Partition Manager but if you downloaded Paragon Backup Recovery 10 Compact from www.giveawayoftheday.com it doesn't expire but you won't be able to update it. That doesn't appear to be a problem though as the price was right :)

Exactly Smurf, if I were to say I'd use either programme once of twice a year I'd be exaggerating. And as you say, the price was right so if neither works again I shan't complain. :thumbs: