PDA

View Full Version : Have installed Win7 64 bit with DVD but it can't find the hard drive

Neil McC
18-03-2010, 05:27 PM
to continue booting.If I leave the DVD in it says to press any key to run CD/DVD.Which I did again the first time, and now I've got a folder "Windows Old" on the Hard drive.
I've gone into bios and set up the cdr, then hard drive in boot order.And it sees all the hard drives etc I have.Have selected default settings for bios and then changed the boot order.
If I whip the DVD out when it first goes to reboot, it sits there with the cursor flashing.
I've had a look on the hard drive with my old pc and these files are there along with many folders.

bootmgr
BOOTSECT.BAK
WinPEpge.sys

MBd is an Asus P7P55D-E Pro

Ran a test on memory and that was ok.
Any clues please.

Trev
18-03-2010, 05:33 PM
In your bios make sure C: drive is your first boot device where windows should be.
:)

Neil McC
18-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Have got that Trev.
Thanks

wainuitech
18-03-2010, 06:05 PM
now I've got a folder "Windows Old" on the Hard drive. That would indicate an Upgrade - Since you Say its W7 64, what was on the old install, 32 or 64, and what was it upgrading from.?

Neil McC
18-03-2010, 06:14 PM
ok, there is nothing on the hard drive,well 2 lots of window files now.But it's a brand new install.And I think you're right wainuitech. Isn't it amazing how you can read all the guff and still pick the wrong option.
I'll have another go and thanks so much.l

wainuitech
18-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Boot from the DVD, select the bottom option (Custom) select the drive(s) assuming theres only one and delete it - you will end up with a blank drive to install on, having a failed install, ( along with problems) its usually better to start again - when it runs through it will reboot, touch nothing - it should carry on by its self - only asking for information - name COA etc.

Neil McC
18-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Well,the joys of computing.I had selected the Custom option before.This time I chose to do a format then tried again with Custom and it's all go.
Thanks again for your help.

wainuitech
18-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Cool :thumbs: Always good to hear of a successful outcome.

Neil McC
21-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Ended up reloading Win7 as an upgrade after it wouldn't activate.And I got sick of being shuffled around by MS.
It activated ok then.