PDA

View Full Version : Linux hard drive setup on install

Gobe1
18-03-2010, 12:44 PM
HI there
i have been doing some experimenting installing Ubuntu, Fedora, Centos, and now openSUSE. I have an old sytem with 2x 80GB harddrives.
When install using Fedora and Centos the OS sees it as one 160 GB drive, but installing with Ubuntu and SUSE it doesnt.
I tried mucking around with the partitions during setup of Ubuntu and SUSE but cannot get them to span across the two disks.

Is this possible? without RAID?

I might just stick to the red hat clones but thought about asking here first

TIA
Gobes

pkm
18-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I think they are just simplifying it for people during install.

Once installed do the drives appear as two different drives? eg
"fdisk -l"
gives you sda 80gb , sdb 80gb

You can use LVM to span etc but I dont think it would use it by default. Also, I dont know what happens if one drive fails in the span- set.

edit

8.1. Automatic Partitioning

On the Disk Partitioning Setup screen, select Automatically partition.

For Red Hat Enterprise Linux, LVM is the default method for disk partitioning. If you do not wish to have LVM implemented, or if you require RAID partitioning, manual disk partitioning through Disk Druid is required.

Gobe1
18-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Yes they do appear as two disks under fdisk, i also realise if one drive fails then probably all the data would be gone
Under SUSE i tried to span across the LVM and it said i had 147Gb (160GB) plus the boot sectors etc but i couldnt put the "/" mount point in the LVM span on either disk

Not too worried about it
Still playing around, got a little time at the mo
Thanks for the help pkm

Erayd
18-03-2010, 01:40 PM
You can put / on LVM if you have a separate boot partition, and an initramfs smart enough to find and mount the logical volumes. This is not the case by default in most distros.

Gobe1
18-03-2010, 01:47 PM
OK Thanks Erayd