PDA

View Full Version : Job Seekers - where do you seek?

echothreezero
18-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

I manage a department in a medium-sized engineering/surveying/resource management consultancy, and despite the recession, we have more work than we can handle and wish to expand. Unfortunately (also despite the recession) we have had trouble locating suitable staff for the new roles.

We have employed a recruitment agency who have placed web ads on TM and their own site, we have a website dedicated to the search for staff, and have radio advertising pointing listeners to the web page, yet still not much luck.

So, can any of you tell me where you look for jobs? I'm interested in perhaps utilising social networking and message boards, and any other resources I can find.

Our future staff could be NZ'ers, or from overseas wishing to come to NZ.

We are after a range of professional people with varying levels of engineering and surveying qualifications.

I have looked at Linkedin but there are not many jobs in NZ advertised there. I am considering using facebook.

Where else should we be?

What message boards/forums might be a good bet?

Anything else we could try?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Graham.

pkm
18-03-2010, 09:49 AM
seek.co.nz

Havent heard of people using facebook for jobs

linkedin is big in the US?

echothreezero
18-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Thank you.

I should have mentioned that we are already on seek.

I too had not heard of facebook for jobs, but then again I had not heard of using facebook for buying and selling items, but a think-tank we held with some of our more tech-savvy staff identified a facebook application called "Marketplace" which is similar to trademe. One of our employees has a friend who found a job through facebook.

So we are going to give it a go, but any other ideas would be great.

Speedy Gonzales
18-03-2010, 11:00 AM
I used to go to WINZ, and look through their computers. And the jobs they printed out. But, I dont now. I used to send my CV to online sites. But dont now, because none of them bothered to answer.

Aurealis_
18-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I stick with the big three; Trademe, Seek and the papers.

Sweep
18-03-2010, 12:15 PM
And also knocking on doors helps.

echothreezero
18-03-2010, 01:15 PM
You must be joking!

Thank you to those with serious responses. Looks as though we will just have to keep trying.

If anyone knows of an experienced Civil or Structural Engineer, or a Graduate Engineer who would like to live in possibly the best region in the world, please send them to www.soundslikeme.co.nz

Cheers,

Graham

pctek
18-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately we have had trouble locating suitable staff for the new roles.

I find employment agencies (from a job seeker point of view) complete ****.

I look on Seek, TRademe jobs and the papers.

Why can't you find someone "suitable"? What is your criteria? Perhaps you're being overly picky? I know plenty of well qualified, experienced people who can't get a job..........

echothreezero
18-03-2010, 01:26 PM
In that case please send them our way.

I don't think we've been picky - we haven't hardly had anyone to pick from.

Plenty of people looking for work, none prepared to move to a new location where the work is.

We haven't hardly seen the recession here, yet the paper is full of stories about people without work. The odd person who we have talked to who has been from out of town has been very reluctant to move.

Ice Road Trucker
18-03-2010, 01:31 PM
We have employed a recruitment agency who have placed web ads on TM and their own site.

Why couldn't you put your ads on Trademe instead of paying somebody to do it for you?

echothreezero
18-03-2010, 01:46 PM
It's just part of the service - they (supposedly) actively seek out possible recruits, and establish the initial contact. They make sure the applicant has all of the info we need and supplies it to us. They also supposedly get alot of enquiries from people looking for work - especially from overseas. We only hired the agency after a significant fruitless period of doing it ourselves.

We're not entirely sure whether it is good value for money, but we were able to locate a few temporary staff for a few months this way (overseas travellers who stay for around 6 months before they move on). These staff have for the most part, been very valuable. If only their visa's would allow them to stay on!

Sure we could place our own TM ad, but since we're paying for it anyway - they may as well do it.

Don't get me wrong - we have found some staff. But we are growing, and need some key people to assume fairly senior roles, as well as some new "juniors". Initially we assumed our location would be an asset, but it has turned out to be the opposite.

Thank you all for your help. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

zqwerty
18-03-2010, 03:30 PM
And that's where your problem lies, the employment agencies are power crazy and filter out anyone who doesn't exactly conform to the brief. I have applied for many jobs in electronic manufacturing which are well within my capabilities and haven't even got to interview stage and on further inquiry have found out the the job agency has not allowed my name forward for really stupid reasons.

pctek
18-03-2010, 03:38 PM
In that case please send them our way.
The odd person who we have talked to who has been from out of town has been very reluctant to move.

Great. I'll move. Tell me what the job is doing, what skills needed etc.

FoxyMX
18-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Great. I'll move. Tell me what the job is doing, what skills needed etc.

If anyone knows of an experienced Civil or Structural Engineer, or a Graduate Engineer who would like to live in possibly the best region in the world, please send them to www.soundslikeme.co.nz

Graham, try the major national newspapers.

Nomad
18-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I know when I was a graduate, I couldn't even get an interview with most agencies, my first job was a call centre role obtained through WINZ.

I don't know about perm staff, how much the agencies charge the employer. But I know that if they are on a casual or contract basis the agent can earn more. Ie., if I was paid $15/hr to my bank by the agency. The company who I worked for needs to pay the agency around $25-30/hr. I know b/c I accidentally saw the invoice and it had my name on it. The finance team were doing their paper work rounds...

Sweep
18-03-2010, 09:14 PM
You must be joking!

Thank you to those with serious responses. Looks as though we will just have to keep trying.

If anyone knows of an experienced Civil or Structural Engineer, or a Graduate Engineer who would like to live in possibly the best region in the world, please send them to www.soundslikeme.co.nz (http://www.soundslikeme.co.nz)

Cheers,

Graham

I was quite serious in my response. I'm now just working part time to suit myself but the last time I cold called as in door knocking I worked for the same employer for 12 - 13 years

Metla
18-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I have sourced day workers through agencies before, we were charged $17 per head per hour.

Metla
18-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Anything else we could try?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Graham.

Offer more money, If everything stacks up yet no one wants the position, You will have to out-bid their current employer to buy their services.

Either that or lower the requirements, If for example we changed it to...

No need to know what a Civil or Structural Engineer, or a Graduate Engineer does. People with no clue required

I can start Monday.