PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot

Poppa John
17-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi All.

Can somebody explain what this is & how it works? Thanks. PJ.

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2010, 07:31 PM
It lets you boot / use two (or more) versions of windows. And you usually install the older version then the new version. And it helps if you create the partitions first, before you install whatever version

johnd
17-03-2010, 07:46 PM
It lets you boot / use two (or more) versions of windows.

True - but can be MS Windows and other operating systems too such as Linux. At boot time you get the choice of which operating system you want to boot - the options are stored in a boot loader (or loaders). If you have (say) Ubuntu and W7 installed, the Linux boot loader (usually GRUB) will boot Linux directly but pass the loading of Windows onto the Windows boot loader (called chain loading).

johnd
17-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi All.

Can somebody explain what this is & how it works? Thanks. PJ.

However - if you just wanting to try out different operating systems, a less disaster prone way for the beginner might be to use a virtual machine such as VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/).

Poppa John
17-03-2010, 08:07 PM
What if they are both XP Home. Dont ask why. PJ

Metla
17-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Why?

johnd
17-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Yes - this will work. I can't remember whether the boot loader will sort itself out or whether you will need to edit the boot.ini file to make it work?

Poppa John
17-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Why?

You are not supposed to ask.

Just in case!

Madame is not happy at the moment. PJ

Sweep
17-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Just in case!

Why am I not surprised.

Poppa John
18-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Just in case!

Let me clarify that last line. Given what was done for us yesterday, it sounds ungrateful. It was not meant to be. We are graterful

The line was in reference to Windows 7. It is sufficiently different to XP Home to be frustrating and our printer is too old to be compatible with W7. Thats all. PJ

pkm
18-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I think the bootloader notices the other installation. Eg I installed win2k and xp and it had a nice two option boot. Perhaps its in the boot.ini?
eg

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Sweep
18-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Let me clarify that last line. Given what was done for us yesterday, it sounds ungrateful. It was not meant to be. We are graterful

The line was in reference to Windows 7. It is sufficiently different to XP Home to be frustrating and our printer is too old to be compatible with W7. Thats all. PJ

So why not just use win xp then?

Dual boot is good but is it frustrating for MaryAnne or you to use Win 7?

How many computers do you have between the pair of you and how are they currently networked?

Poppa John
19-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Good Morning. Thinking. PJ

Metla
19-03-2010, 09:11 AM
I had a look at their network the other day, None of the computers could even see each other on the network, I spent a few minutes looking into it ,to no avail.

As for the laptop, If you want XP then go for XP rather then a dual boot, But it depends on whether XP drivers are available for it, Whats the model?

Sweep
19-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the explanation Metla.