PDA

View Full Version : Weakest Part Of A Mouse (Not The Rodent)

Trev
17-03-2010, 10:37 AM
About every 2 or 3 years I have to replace my mouse due to a broken wire where the cable enters the mouse. Yesterday I started getting intermittent mouse pointer freezing and the USB disconnect reconnect boing sound. Looks like time for another new mouse.
:(

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Buy a wireless one then you wont have wires

fred_fish
17-03-2010, 10:48 AM
...just batteries that are always flat :p

Mice are consumables :D

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Well invent one that doesnt use batteries or a cord then

Renmoo
17-03-2010, 10:52 AM
If you switch off the mouse when it is not in used, then the batteries can last longer.

Renmoo
17-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Well invent one that doesnt use batteries or a cord then
One of those that uses magnetic charger.

Billy T
17-03-2010, 10:55 AM
About every 2 or 3 years I have to replace my mouse due to a broken wire where the cable enters the mouse. :(

If you keep a 100-150mm loop of cable at the front of the mouse it won't keep breaking. You have probably been bending the cable backwards and forwards very close to the entry point as you move it around.

My mouse is about 6 years old and in constant use 7 days a week for long hours but the cable is still fine.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
17-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Yup come to think of it I have seen one of those magnetic ones. Only thing is with others they dont have a switch. So you cant turn it off. Altho, most of them will probably switch off anyway, when theyre not in use

utopian201
17-03-2010, 11:20 AM
If you keep a 100-150mm loop of cable at the front of the mouse it won't keep breaking. You have probably been bending the cable backwards and forwards very close to the entry point as you move it around.

My mouse is about 6 years old and in constant use 7 days a week for long hours but the cable is still fine.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I dont even see how a mouse can be usable if the cable has been bent at right angles as it enters the mouse. Cramped desk? cable too short?

My Intellimouse explorer is still working after I got it in 2002.

The other thing that kills mice fast is by lifting your finger and slapping the mouse button down instead of keeping your finger -on- the button to click. It wears out the contact between the mouse button and the click mechanism.

pctek
17-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Why? How is it positioned? You have the wire at an awkward angle, or too tight or something. I've always had corded mice, this one I use no I've had for years and years.

nedkelly
17-03-2010, 12:12 PM
At one of my old schools they have the cables go right near the usb plug. They have boxes of mice with it.

wratterus
17-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I've only had one give up on me like this, and it was an intellimouse. If you do want wireless, the batteries in the new logitech mice are lasting up to around 180 days now, hardly a worry, you'd be unlucky if you had to replace batteries twice a year.

Sweep
17-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Rechargable batteries may help.

zqwerty
17-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I fix mice with broken wires in the position described often, it is a simple easy job.

Just open the mouse, cut off the broken wires and re-terminate at the plug where it goes into the circuit board. Re-run the cord back through the labyrinth, re-assemble mouse and you good to go.

Solder directly to the plug right where the wires come out or pull the plug out and solder directly to the circuit board, no insulation required if you are clever and have good fine motor skills.

What have you got to lose you were going to throw it away anyway.

Lots of the things I use all the time are from fixing other people's throw-aways, lol including my car and my computer.

decibel
17-03-2010, 04:53 PM
If you get a cordless mouse, make sure you get one with either bluetooth or the little USB receiver, not the big USB receivers that stick out a long way and get broken off.

This sort of one (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=377437) is a good one.

Trev
17-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Ok just bought my first Logitech mouse a MX 518. All my previous optical mice have been MS. Would of liked the Logitech G500 but nobody local has them.
:)

PinoyKiw
17-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Or try a TrackBall, we have several here, all would be 10 years or better in age and still going strong. Still have a cord though the mouse itself never moves.

Not every one likes trackballs though.

Agent_24
17-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Never broke a mouse cord ever, and corded mice are the only ones I've ever used.

Even got mine stuck in a car door and had the USB plug driven over (not slowly either!) and it still worked...

I did replace the cord though, just to make sure it didn't randomly short-circuit or something in the future

Trev
17-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm not hard on my mice, just that they get alot of use gaming. Still use a MS Joystick I bought in 1998 has done a few thousand hours flying Flight Simulators and also a MS Force Feedback Wheel that has had a quite a few hours use in driving games.

Ollie
17-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Dude some wireless mices lasts 6+ months on battery

Agent_24
17-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't know about Trev but why I don't use wireless mice is not because of the batteries.

To me, wireless mice seem to have a sort of lag (probably unavoidable due to the way wireless works) and appear to constantly compensate for it with some kind of "smoothing" which feels like you've got a Gummi Bear for a mouse pointer. Truth be told I haven't used many wireless mice but I have noticed weird things like this with all of them that I have tried.

Trev
18-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Agree with you there. I won't buy anything wireless unless I really have too. Heard too many people having problems with wireless peripherals.
BTW this new mouse is nice and smooth.

wratterus
18-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I always used to think the same, but having recently bought a Logi VX Nano and then a Logi M905, I can say (the M905 anyway) is as good to use as my G5, and just as precise. And being able to use it on glass tables is cool.