PDA

View Full Version : Restoring back to factory settings

dianne pierce
16-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Windows XP Home Edition Ver 2002 Svce Pack 3 Compaq Presario Intel (R) Celeron R MCPU 420 @ 1.6 ghz 504 Ram -
Problem - Got a virus today but as far as I know it has been removed.
Can I save all my documents on to a pen drive and if I restore back to the original factory settings will the programmes that came installed on this lap top still be there to use? I was not given any discs at time of purchase.

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2010, 10:31 PM
If its got a restore partition on it, you should be able to use it. And the programs that came on it should be there. However, whatever you installed after, will have to be reinstalled. This may or may not inc the service packs

Also, if there is a restore partition on it now, there should be a program in the menu somewhere to create the dvd / cd's. You'll need blank cd's or a dvd so you can burn the files

dianne pierce
16-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Speedy can't I copy everything on to an 8gb flashdrive instead of burning onto cd"s?

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Umm well you can copy the documents (dont worry about programs etc, you'll have to reinstall them) to the flash drive,but I would make sure the restore partition exists before you do this. The program I was talking about doesnt create cd's / a dvd for the documents, it creates a windows install cd. So, you've got one, in case you need it

dianne pierce
16-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks speedy, misunderstood your advice first time around, now I do. Many thanks

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Thats cool, umm just make sure the virus has gone (depending on WHAT it was). Otherwise your flash drive may get infected as well

pctek
17-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Can I save all my documents on to a pen drive and if I restore back to the original factory settings will the programmes that came installed on this lap top still be there to use?

If your personal data will fit onto the pen drive. Check it first.

Programs need to be reinstalled - if they are part of the recovery they will be there, if you added them, they won't.