PDA

View Full Version : Export contacts.

Cicero
16-03-2010, 10:49 AM
How do you export contacts in Windows mail (vista).
I can put them in a folder one at a time and send,but there has to be a better way?
Thanks all.

KarameaDave
16-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Open Windows Contacts by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Contacts.
On the toolbar, click Export, and then click one of the following formats:
* CSV (Comma Separated Values). This is a generic file format used for exporting or importing information to and from databases or spreadsheets.
* vCard (folder of .vcf files). This format is used by many other programs. It is typically the best format to use when sharing contacts with someone who is using an earlier version of Windows or who is using a different operating system.
Click Export, select a folder where you want to store your contacts in the new format, and then click OK.
When a message appears telling you that the contacts export process has completed, click OK, and then click Close.

from
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Import-export-or-change-the-format-for-contacts

Cicero
16-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Open Windows Contacts by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Contacts.
On the toolbar, click Export, and then click one of the following formats:
* CSV (Comma Separated Values). This is a generic file format used for exporting or importing information to and from databases or spreadsheets.
* vCard (folder of .vcf files). This format is used by many other programs. It is typically the best format to use when sharing contacts with someone who is using an earlier version of Windows or who is using a different operating system.
Click Export, select a folder where you want to store your contacts in the new format, and then click OK.
When a message appears telling you that the contacts export process has completed, click OK, and then click Close.

from
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Import-export-or-change-the-format-for-contacts

Ah,there's the rub,no sign of export on my tool bar.?

wratterus
16-03-2010, 12:22 PM
It may be over to the right hand side, try clicking on the arrows. See attached pic

Cicero
16-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Not any where to be seen,looked in help and it says do what Dave said,but no Export I can assure you.

wratterus
16-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Does that line of options show up at all for you?

Cicero
16-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Does that line of options show up at all for you?

Looks totaly different,all it has is
File,Edit,View,Tools,Help.

Tried to post screen, could only get it to word pad,not sure how to post from there.

wratterus
16-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah I am looking at win7 rather than vista but I thought it was the same..

Hit the print screen key, paste into paint, save as .jpg then upload Cic.

It might be worth checking in windows mail, under file - export (or import and export) and see if you can export the address book as a .csv file from there, but I don't think win mail allows you to do that.

Cicero
16-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Having got it into Word Pad,save as drop down only offers,

R.T.F
Text Doc,
Text Doc MSDos format and Unicode text doc.

Cicero
16-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Hope you can see that Wratus Wratii.

wratterus
16-03-2010, 01:30 PM

wratterus
16-03-2010, 01:32 PM
It works!

Hmm, ok. So that whole line is AWOL.

Did you have a look under file - export in windows mail and see if you can export the addresses from there? I need to find a vista machine around here so I can check...the only ones I have aren't working at the moment :rolleyes:

Cicero
16-03-2010, 01:41 PM
It works!

Hmm, ok. So that whole line is AWOL.

Did you have a look under file - export in windows mail and see if you can export the addresses from there? I need to find a vista machine around here so I can check...the only ones I have aren't working at the moment :rolleyes:

That is a copy from my contacts?

Sorry Wratterus,I see what you mean.
Funny it doesnt have that in contact list.
Anyway,all sorted thanks pal.

wratterus
16-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Cool, need a confusing one at least once a day to keep ya on yer toes!

Cicero
16-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Cool, need a confusing one at least once a day to keep ya on yer toes!

Can you believe,it has saved to my documents as requested but in Excel,which I don't have on my laptop.

I used to Like Bill,but am going off him at the moment.

wratterus
16-03-2010, 01:53 PM
What do you want to do with the contacts? Look at them or move them somewhere? If they are in .csv format, any mail app will import them, or if you have office or open office you can view or print them.

Cicero
16-03-2010, 02:00 PM
What do you want to do with the contacts? Look at them or move them somewhere? If they are in .csv format, any mail app will import them, or if you have office or open office you can view or print them.

I want to store in a folder in a USB drive.

wratterus
16-03-2010, 02:04 PM
That's fine - just cause you can't open it doesn't mean it's not there. If you've saved it, it can be re-imported into win mail or any other mail program for that matter. Save it onto your USB drive, it will be all good.

Safari
16-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Go to this link to fix you contacts tool bar
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Missing-buttons-from-Windows-Contacts-toolbar?page=1

Cicero
16-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Go to this link to fix you contacts tool bar
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Missing-buttons-from-Windows-Contacts-toolbar?page=1

Thank you Saf,did that but still insists on storing in Xcel,why one has to ask?