PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Sattelite Laptop to printer .

Poppa John
15-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi All.
Some time ago we asked how to connect the above via wireless. We did not manage it, too difficult. Now we want to try ahgain

I have searched for that thread with various wordings. Cannot find it. Any suggestions? Thanks. PJ

ronyville
15-03-2010, 11:29 AM
What printer do you have? Does it support wireless or bluetooth?

Poppa John
15-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi I found the original thread & have saved it.

The printer is on a home network of two Comps each with its own printer. The printers can not be accessed from the "Other" comp. The laptop connects the net via a Belkin router , this is also connected to the Net Modem. What we want to do is use the Laptop to print on Maryanns EpsonStylus CX3900. It is not a wireless printer. PJ

linw
15-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Or, is it connected via USB to a computer that has wireless capability?

Poppa John
15-03-2010, 11:44 AM
The laptop is wireless to a BelkinWireless routerwhich is in turn connected to the ADSL modem. Two desktops are home networked. Each has a printer hard connected to its Comp. The printers are not shared on the network. PJ

wainuitech
15-03-2010, 11:52 AM
The printers are not shared on the network Thats why they wont connect, you have to share the printer, then go into add printers, network Printer, Browse for the printer, it should locate it after a few minutes and you tell it to install, it will warn you about drivers etc, just agree and it should install OK. You sometimes need to reboot for the sharing to take affect.

Make sure both PC's are on the same workgroup, as this makes it a bit easier.

coldot
15-03-2010, 11:52 AM
PJ: Have you tried select "Printers and Faxes" then "Add Printer" then in Add Printer Wizard select "Network printer or printer attached to another computer". Windows will then search for the other printer (assuming both printers & both computers switched on & logged on).
That's what I do in Win XP and I guess there's something similar in Win 7.
Oops - too late! I must learn to type fast!

Poppa John
15-03-2010, 12:18 PM
OK Sharing the printers was an earlier problem that was never resolved. I see that it will need to be. Lunch next, then Library. Then start againn.
Thanks. PJ

ps Where do I find the work group , printer names etc? They all want to be the same, yes? PJ

wainuitech
15-03-2010, 12:45 PM
The workgroup Names dont "HAVE" to be the same, BUT it's easier, one less thing to go wrong.

Assuming they are XP:

On XP - Right click My Computer/ Properties/ Computer Name Tab - In the middle will be the workgroup - to change it, click change As shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Workgroup.jpg) - you will need to reboot to take affect. The workgroup on both are the same, the PC Names must be different.

If they are Vista or W7 the same procedure.