PDA

View Full Version : More Microsoft Woes

Haggis
15-03-2010, 09:54 AM
A short time ago my motherboard failed and I got a new one fitted. Now my M.S. Vista home premium says that I have to register it - I tried to input the code from my vista box - which on line "help" and MS "personal help Line" refused - as it was put on by the repair shop who did the installation(?). I went on line to M.S and was told that my Vista was an upgrade (which is true) and I had to re install via my XP which has been wiped from my machine years ago - M.S.- sounds like they are in Manilla - are absolutely adamant that I cannot reinstall my Vista with going the XP route - What are my options please as the "illegal" VISTA is beginning to become non functional and I dont want to throw more money away with Microsoft and their S%$#@T

A quick reply to iforsyth@slingshot.co.nz would really really be appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I wouldnt post your email here. I've never done it myself, so this may or may not work (http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/01/31/workaround-for-clean-install-with-vista-upgrade-dvds/). As it says it makes XP unusable, if you upgrade from XP

linw
15-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Speedy's reference is the acknowledged workaround for your situation.

Don't see why you are annoyed with MS, though. You're damn lucky you can install the upgrade with the workaround.

pctek
15-03-2010, 12:01 PM
A short time ago my motherboard failed and I got a new one fitted. Now my M.S. Vista home premium says that I have to register it -

I went on line to M.S and was told that my Vista was an upgrade (which is true) and I had to re install via my XP

Register or Activate?
If activate you don't need to reinstall anything. You just activate it either online or via the phone.

Register - I've never registered any copy of Windows I've ever installed.

Get the tech who installed the board to sort it for you.