PDA

View Full Version : OK! So have I got this right?

Billy T
14-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Team

I'm setting up my new computer, and as delivered it just has Win XP Pro (Sp3) on a single 60 GB NTFS partition and the rest of the 640GB is yet to be partitioned and formatted. I will be installing MS Virtual PC to run my legacy instrument programs so that will go on a FAT 32 partition. All data will be on a second 640GB drive and that too will be in multiple partitions.

As I understand it, existing data from my present system (mostly FAT32 but some FAT16 instrument files) will be read by NTFS no problems.

My concern is that should I edit one of those files in any way then save it to an NTFS partition, my FAT16 and FAT32 instrument programs won't be able to read it, so I am planning to set up a FAT32 partition on the Data drive so that all file creations, manipulations and saves for both the programs themselves plus new data and legacy (archived) data will remain fully accessible.

On top of this, I am curious as to how a FAT16 floppy can be compatible in an NTFS system, or are floppies not usable on NTFS? It is unlikely to be a problem for me one way or the other, but I'd like to know.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

CYaBro
14-03-2010, 07:04 PM
You say you are going to setup a ms virtual pc?
If so then you don't need a fat32/fat16 partition for that as it will have a virtual hdd that is a single file that can live on any hdd/partition.
You will tell ms virtual pc to format it's hdd in the required fat32 system you need.

Ntfs has nothing to do with being able to read fat file systems or floppy discs. That is the operating systems job and winxp can read/write to them all.

Lurking
15-03-2010, 09:16 AM
CYaBro, I have a similar problem.

Have upgraded from a 40 gig hdd FAT32 to a 320 gig in NTFS format.

Symphony 3 software doesn't run now, what's the solution please?.

Lurking.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Might be the version of windows youre using. Not what its formatted in. What version of windows is on it? Are you using virtual pc as well Lurking?

Billy T
15-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Ntfs has nothing to do with being able to read fat file systems or floppy discs. That is the operating systems job and winxp can read/write to them all.

Thanks CYaBro, there is so much confusing and apparently conflicting information in every resource I read, and I wanted to be doing the right things as I partition these drives etc. I wouldn't mind betting that I find that one of these legacy programs will only load a C drive too, I've found various anomalies over the years including accidental 'features' that the manufacturers didn't even know about, presumably created by programming errors or experiments that were forgotten about, some of which were incredibly useful.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Lurking
15-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Might be the version of windows youre using. Not what its formatted in. What version of windows is on it? Are you using virtual pc as well Lurking?

Hi Speedy, XP SP3, virtual pc is new to me!.

Thanks,

Lurks.